Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Go faster!
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a new Schmolke TLO MTB handlebar, after I received it I noticed some imperfections on it and contacted Schmolke directly for some clarification, but still no answer for more than a week.... :rolleyes:

First there are two opposite salient lines from end to end of the handlebar, I suppose these is from the moulding. Won't this cause a higher pressure in the clamping areas (stem, shifters and brakes) damaging the handlebar structure?
Second, schmolke doesn't use any clearcoat on the bar and I can see a lot of small holes caused from lack of resin between the carbon mesh, again can this affect the handlebar structure?

Last thing. Where can I find the red Schmolke lettering and Schmolke logos that they use on the bars? I'm thinking about sanding these lines down, polishing and aplying new stickers. Anyone tried this?

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sergio don't do any modification! My bar is the same like yours, with the same lines on the front and back. it's 100% normal! DON'T SAND THE LINES! you'll avoid your warranty!

Shifter and brake clamps doesn't affect on handlebar structure, just follow Schmolke's installation instructions.

My TLO bar 540mm an weight 73g

Enjoy your new handlebar!

Ohad.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
sergio_pt said:
I have bought a new Schmolke TLO MTB handlebar, after I received it I noticed some imperfections on it and contacted Schmolke directly for some clarification, but still no answer for more than a week.... :rolleyes:

First there are two opposite salient lines from end to end of the handlebar, I suppose these is from the moulding. Won't this cause a higher pressure in the clamping areas (stem, shifters and brakes) damaging the handlebar structure?
Second, schmolke doesn't use any clearcoat on the bar and I can see a lot of small holes caused from lack of resin between the carbon mesh, again can this affect the handlebar structure?

Last thing. Where can I find the red Schmolke lettering and Schmolke logos that they use on the bars? I'm thinking about sanding these lines down, polishing and aplying new stickers. Anyone tried this?
I wouldn't do anything with your bar:nono: Just leave it has it is.

I have three Schmolke bars, 2 TLO and SL (for using bar ends) all oversize one's (31.8).
TLO bar 600mm weighs in at 88g and the other TLO bar 580mm came in at 91g. The SL bar 580mm weighs in at 107g. All have imperfections on them like you said but I think that's what makes a Schmolke bar:)
Also I wait about a month or 2 before you will get a reply from Schmolke:rolleyes: :D

·
Go faster!
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK by your experiences I think I'll leave the bar as is... The positive side is the salient lines may help to make more grip in the clamping areas.
Imperfections a la Schmolke, makes the Schmolke ok... I would recommend them to correct this minor flaws and have a perfect product because AX Lightness is on the tail with a similar product without this small problems.
Thanks all for the help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
sergio_pt said:
http://www.r2-bike.com/SCHMOLKE_1 in Germany
The owner is a cool guy. recommended webshop :thumbsup:
you know him? i send email to r2 bike two days ago and still wait for answer and i just want to buy new wheelset, but fast.

anyway, i ordered mine at schmokle web site. they asked me about weight, riding style, height, km per year... then they told me: it will be 91g and two months latter i got one - 91g :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
*XJay* said:
A quickie qns:- Would be cheaper to order from schmolke directly, Or one will enjoy greater discount frm it dealer?

I am saving to get me a TLK handlebar & seapost, so looking around for cheapest option..:D :D

Anyone can helps?
Robert is the guy from r2. I know him well. The price on this website has EU tax included so if you are ordering from outside the EU then you should get a cheaper price.
BTW if you order from Schmolke directly they will add on EU tax and cost you alot more.

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
i had a 25.4 mm bar

now it died in a bike crash ... :madman: after over a year of happy trails

you can see pic when alive :

but its big brother is arriving !!

31.8mm on the way home :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

removing decals is easy , no clearcoat on them ...with nails :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
i had a bad experience ordering Schmolke 25.4 x 580 TLO bars in ud carbon

firstly i ordered the bars on 17.11.09 - they did not arrive till 03.03.10

bars weighed 91g

after i was resigned to owning hefty TLO bars i found defects in the finish

...sent the bars back for a refund

Schmolke 3k carbon is still the best in the world - but would never make another custom ud carbon order

·
Go faster!
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pinokio said:
you know him? i send email to r2 bike two days ago and still wait for answer and i just want to buy new wheelset, but fast.

anyway, i ordered mine at schmokle web site. they asked me about weight, riding style, height, km per year... then they told me: it will be 91g and two months latter i got one - 91g :)
They answer emails quickly.. probably your mail got trashed in the spam. Try again with different address. [email protected] or [email protected]

It's nice that Schmolke has this custom handlebar manufacturing based on weight, riding style, etc. probably that's why you got a light one compared to mine. I don't care I suppose my bar is stronger. :) The wall thickness is very thin, still can't believe how this will hold on in one piece.

Mattias_Hellöre said:
Schmolke takes a premium price tag and you get a such crappy product?

Mortop is a lot cheaper and don´t have these imperfections.

Clearcoat is a MUST, or you will get a yellow handlebar over time.
I hope they find a way to make it better looking.. but sure it will be more expensive.
Mortop doesn't look to be as good cracking at the stem clamping area http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=6421516&postcount=84

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
sergio_pt said:
eliflap do you have the picture of the dead bar? lol

culturesponge I would keep the bar, It looks much nicer and better finished than the 3k version
can do some pics on friday

not a big damage : a crack close to stem , when the forces of the fall converged

however i consider it not rideable ...

maybe can be repaired , maybe ...must i send it to a carbon expert here in Italy

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
sergio_pt said:
culturesponge I would keep the bar, It looks much nicer and better finished than the 3k version
agreed, that is why i did a custom order directly for ud carbon (to match my bike) - 25.4 x 580mm is not available off-the-shelf

it was not until i found the defects in the surface that i decided to send it back, till then i was convinced that a TLO @ 91g equates to a very strong handlebar

already refund now (thanks Jens)

never again! ...unsprung/rotational weight loss is where it really makes any difference

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.