Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 1: 101 miles so far! The leaders are at 160-ish.

Hopefully schillingsworth got up Koko Claims without straining his achilles or injuring his feet:

He's in Elkford, which I think is right after that section. Nope, Koko Claims is after Elkford.

Wow! Josh Kato is still at it, he rode past Fernie and is at 173 miles and counting.

·
1,473 Posts
Day 1: 101 miles so far! The leaders are at 160-ish.

Hopefully schillingsworth got up Koko Claims without straining his achilles or injuring his feet:

He's in Elkford, which I think is right after that section. Nope, Koko Claims is after Elkford.

Wow! Josh Kato is still at it, he rode past Fernie and is at 173 miles and counting.
Actually John logged 117 the first day - counting the ride to the start. Says weather was awesome.

It is interesting how the field is still very clumped. Not exactly lonely out there. I'm sure that will change over the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From last night:
So by 3am 6 riders have made it the 200 mi to Butts Cabin, Steve H first in and Kai Edel about 1.5 hrs later... Josh Kato might be in there too. Looks like Sofiane is pushing for an all nighter??
ITT[=Individual Time Trial] Nobo[=Northbound] Michael Grosso is reporting tough conditions due to snow in New Mexico! Pulled this from the facebook page: "PSA - what those guys said about Brazo Ridge was right. Terrible conditions of thick mud and lots of snow from NM border to lagunitas. A very hard hard day. I am completely wrecked. Maybe it will be better for SoBo riders but the NoBo should prepare for some serious ****. It's awful and unrelenting. We are all used to tough trails but this is next level. Nothing is rideable and you will get covered in mud. Very slow going."

·
Registered
411 Posts
Another Arizona rider, Chris Seistrup, decided to put on an impromptu show for the Blackfoot Angler web cam in Ovando. He was either in the top ten or very close to it at this point in time. So cool to have this attitude and energy after so much output.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2244619675624274&id=100002287895517

As of this post Schilling was at mile 372 in Whitefish. Rockin' it. :)

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I am reading the stats correctly, the leader has maintained 200 miles traveled each day so far?
And, if you read the reports on the right hand side of the dotwatcher website, Sofiane started the race, then rode for 63 hours straight before stopping for some sleep. He was ahead of Mike Hall's course record at some point, but he's slightly behind the last time I checked. The route is 2,745 miles long with almost 200,000 feet of climbing and Mike Hall did it in just under 13 days and 23 hours.

It's early days though, and anything could happen. From the reports I read, Colorado could slow the riders down: the high passes are still covered in snow.

Lael Wilcox is super impressive. The rider profile on her said that the last time she rode the Tour Divide, she rode from Alaska to the start, then rode home from the finish at the Mexican border.

Some riders do a yo-yo: when they finish they turn around and ride the route in the opposite direction. Apparently, some people run out of racing room on a 2,745 mile course!

·
GONE
27,019 Posts
And, if you read the reports on the right hand side of the dotwatcher website, Sofiane started the race, then rode for 63 hours straight before stopping for some sleep. He was ahead of Mike Hall's course record at some point, but he's slightly behind the last time I checked. The route is 2,745 miles long with almost 200,000 feet of climbing and Mike Hall did it in just under 13 days and 23 hours.

It's early days though, and anything could happen. From the reports I read, Colorado could slow the riders down: the high passes are still covered in snow.

Lael Wilcox is super impressive. The rider profile on her said that the last time she rode the Tour Divide, she rode from Alaska to the start, then rode home from the finish at the Mexican border.

Some riders do a yo-yo: when they finish they turn around and ride the route in the opposite direction. Apparently, some people run out of racing room on a 2,745 mile course!
Yes, riding for days on end is really the only way to accomplish so many miles in a given period.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And, the race among the leaders just blew up! Apparently, Sofiane got lost in a blizzard at 1am on top of a high pass in -5C (23 F) temps when his gps malfunctioned. He tried to navigate with his cell phone, but he just couldn't find the route, so he had to retreat back down the pass to find shelter in a hotel. He messaged that he was okay, but that he didn't have the gear to survive a night out in that weather.

It looks like all the leaders have taken cover for the day (or they are slogging through mud): at 200m/day x 9 days they should be at 1,800 miles, but they are currently at 1,600+. Sofiane is now 100 miles back of the leader Chris Streisup from Prescott, AZ!

Go shillingsworth! Hang in there! It looks like he had a rough day too: he did not make 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sofiane scratched.

Here's the report from dotwatchers on his ordeal:

Soifiane was pushing (literally) through the night, snow and mud over the Pass to Steamboat Springs after a quick stop at Brush Mountain Lodge (BML) when it all went wrong for him. Sofi lost the track in the snow and the dark. He spent 2 hours trying to rest at temps of -5C, and then made the decision at around 04:30 to turn back down the mountain and return to BML, which took him 3.5 hours to go 15 miles. On the way he passed Josh Kato who was likley sleeping, and Chris Seistrup who was just starting up for the day having wisely rested at BML through the night for a solid 8.5 hours.
It looks like the other 3(?) leaders made it over the pass, but now the chasers are stuck at Brush Mountain Lodge due to horrendous weather conditions, snow, and mud.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sounds like Josh Kato is a scratch. He sure sounded whipped after he went through a similar ordeal as Sofiane, but he said he would keep racing. Then he crashed, and he thought he broke his collarbone. He made it to a hospital, and they said it wasn't broken, so he rested for 12 hours, then got back at it. Then he woke up vomiting and feeling awful so he navigated to another hospital, and he is being transported somewhere, so it sounds serious.

The racers who were holed up at Brush Mountain Lodge because the pass they needed to ride over was impassable due to snow and mud suffered the indignation of the arrival of a NOBO rider who was touring the course (presumably their bike was loaded down with more gear).

schillingsworth:

Route distance per day 95.0 m
Go, go, go! I wonder what his strategy is going to be for the high passes in CO? Will he ride at night when the mud is frozen/firmer?

Sofiane said his ordeal in the blizzard frightened him, and no race is worth dying for. Big congratulations to him for self rescuing in a dire situation.

Lael Wilcox (with film crew) also scratched. But that's not the end of the story. I think she is still riding the route to completion. Her girlfriend was in the film crew, and there is a rule that you cannot get in person emotional support from loved ones, family, friends, etc. while racing. Because the record time Lael was after (she holds the women's record at 15:10:59) was out of reach due to the weather conditions in CO (she was one of the racers stranded at Brush Mountain Lodge), instead of continuing to race in strict segregation from her girlfriend, she decided to enjoy the riding and visit with her girlfriend when she takes breaks. That's against the rules, so she scratched.

The best image of the racers I've seen so far is of a woman single speeder, Alexandera Houchin, passing male riders up the notorious Koko Claims hike a bike, wearing work boots--with her bike hoisted on her back!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.