Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Phatt Tire Luva'
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I totally get this might be a crazy question... But, I’ve been riding these trails going on 15 years now. And every time I’m up there I am reminded to once and for all figure out that scent you smell in the forests of Mt Hood. I’ve always found it most powerful on the 8-mile loop specifically - but you can smell it over on lookout ridge too. For a long time I convinced myself that it was wild eucalyptus I was smelling. If someone could give actual known response it would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Well it wouldn't be wild eucalyptus. Eucalyptus is an exotic import from Australia and can't tolerate subfreezing temps. Not much help.

Try to identify what's blooming there during your visits.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Alder? I can't remember if there are any alder trees up there, but if there are enough of them around, when the leaves accumulate on the ground in the warmer months, they have a very fragrant smell similar to green tea.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Rhododendrons and azaleas grow pretty thick around the Mt. Hood area at some elevations. Some varieties are known for being fragrant. They don't smell much like eucalyptus, though, which is similar to menthol.

Labrador tea is a possibility. I know it grows in Washington around Rainier and Olympic NPs. I wouldn't be surprised if it grew in some of the moister, boggy habitats around Mt. Hood.

·
Phatt Tire Luva'
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after spending some time yesterday at the essential oil collection with my daughter in New Seasons - I'd say it almost seems to be a cross of sage and juniper... But not quite either.

ADDENDUM: So, I'm thinking there is a really good chance that the scent is coming from Western Juniper!

Juniperus occidentalis, known as the western juniper, is a shrub or tree native to the western United States, growing in mountains at altitudes of 800-3,000 metres and rarely down to 100 metres.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
So after spending some time yesterday at the essential oil collection with my daughter in New Seasons - I'd say it almost seems to be a cross of sage and juniper... But not quite either.
Seems like all coniferous evergreens have a variant on the "pine" smell. Maybe a combination of the various ones in the area? Probably some sage, too, and the other higher altitude trees.

·
Phatt Tire Luva'
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll likely be out there within the next 2 weeks, as my wife just got a brand new bike - and 8 mile is her absolute favorite place to ride... and there is one very specific place on that loop where the scent has always been most pronounced. So, I'm planing to stop and grab some pictures of trees/shrubs in the area. The problem is - that section is in the middle of the ripping downhill stuff!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.