Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tahoe that is.......
Rode a little on the North shore Sunday out of Tahoe City. Got first tracks up to Stanford rocks, great traction till about 7500 feet and the onset of the frozen, still somewhat loose, dirt. This made for an interesting descent:eek: For those of you that have not ridden this section, there are actually rocks on this trail, a far cry from the South shore's smooth buttery goodness. As I got below the frozen dirt it was just beautiful, great smells and the wonderful colors of a washed off forest.
Upon my return to Tahoe City I headed up to Brockway Summit. I've known for years that they were planning on rerouting the trail out and around the Grouse nesting zone up in the rocks, today was my first ride on the new trail. It is by far an easier route, your typical (I am assumming) Garrett Villenueva trail, very well built with not much flow. I'm not sure why the Forest Service cant go more than 10' without changing direction, but this is one of those trails. I am happy the Forest Service is providing new trails though and this one is a nice addition, I saw more hikers and bikers today than I have seen in the entire time I had ridden the old section.
The new section is longer(2-3miles?) with some nice views into the Truckee river, it mostly goes out along the rim of the river. Another thing I don't understand about the Forest service is why they pick areas that have either had massive bark beetle infestation(lots of deadfall) or massive thinning to roll their new trail through, doesn't make sense. The new trail meets the old trail just short of the cinder cones, from there on out it is unchanged.
They look pretty serious about keeping people off the old trail, it's been brushed out for a couple hundred feet, best to stay off of it and keep them happy.
From there I rolled up to the 1st road crossing at Brockway Summit ( didn't make the last mile to the actual summit) and turned around back towards home with a run down Missing Link/WS. Every time I go down Missing Link I think the same thing, not the best trail in the world and I wonder why it's so popular, but then I get on WS and I remember why I put up with it:thumbsup:

All in all a great day, the moisture should hold up for a few days although there were areas that were already drying out and loose again. Get up there while you can!
For those of you who want to know the route:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=6920733

Attachments

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Nice

Nice Sean! Bail on Whiskeytown, then go do a ride like this without me. And I thought we were friends?!.... Great stuff!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Funny, I love missing link and after 100th rock on stanford Rock I hate it....Maybe not hate it is all awesome up there :thumbsup:

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
Before Missing Link existed you had the pleasure of riding DOWN the Wall. A big waste of a fair amount of elevation. That's why we like Missing Link so much.

Totally agree that WS rocks. Very nice when you get a clean run without running into anyone heading up.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Reroute..

I checked out the reroute of the TRT out of Tahoe City. The new route is roughly the same overall distance as the old one. It does create a much easier way to climb up.

I agree with Sean as far as the flow of this new section is concerned.....it has little to none...too many turns.

But...it sure is nice to ride 4+ miles of new trail.

A few pics...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Man, I love riding up there! Thanks for posting the pictures. I'll be day dreaming of my next ride up there for the winter. :D I do most of my riding on the west side of the lake. Cheers
(Edit)
I've done part of that ride and I didn't know the names of the trails, but I had seen the Stanford gate near that stream crossing. I need to get a GPS. I get lost a lot.:p

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
That's definitely a garrett trick.

It's a little wierd to see a trail build that I can only assume had mountain bikers 100% in mind the entire time. Like you said, not 10 feet without a completely useless direction change. And what's with all the intentionally placed rocks on the insides of turns? It's like the entire stretch was made to slow down mountain bikes and the result was a bunch of abosolutely pointless meandering. I would be laughing my ass off at that design if I was hiking that trail. It's like a garden maze.

Kind of bummed they took what was essentially a sustained descent and turned it into something so flat. That used to be one of my favorite downhills around.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
kidwoo said:
That's definitely a garrett trick.

It's a little wierd to see a trail build that I can only assume had mountain bikers 100% in mind the entire time. Like you said, not 10 feet without a completely useless direction change. And what's with all the intentionally placed rocks on the insides of turns? It's like the entire stretch was made to slow down mountain bikes and the result was a bunch of abosolutely pointless meandering. I would be laughing my ass off at that design if I was hiking that trail. It's like a garden maze.

Kind of bummed they took what was essentially a sustained descent and turned it into something so flat. That used to be one of my favorite downhills around.
Same thing Garrett's been up to on the south shore, ala x-mas vally, upper armstrong and I'm sure the soon to come reroute of cold creek. I have found that these trails are a bit better this year after they have been ridden a lot, burming in, etc.

Sad to see this trail go, bummed I did not get up there this year for one more run on it.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
kidwoo said:
I would be laughing my ass off at that design if I was hiking that trail. It's like a garden maze.
Funny thing is that it seems that even the hikers are not liking these trails much either.

No need to make trail multiuse

I would just like to enter my support to the reader who asked that the Cold Creek Trail not be rerouted for mountain-bike use. The Cold Creek Trail is one of my favorite "in-town" hikes. It is a beautiful trail, going up to high meadow and meandering along the creek as it falls toward the lake with lots of wildflowers and aspens along the way. Cool and sheltered from the wind, it is a wonderful respite from both the heat and traffic of some other trails.

I also agree that the restructuring of the Christmas Valley Trail was for us hikers a sad deviation from the pleasant stroll up to Dardenelles, adding at least 15 minutes to the distance and switchbacking endlessly away from the pleasant sights and sounds of the river. Perhaps this was needed as a safe corridor for the bikers to transit from Big Meadow, since it seems that it was graded especially for a beginner to intermediate level of bike rider, being not very challenging any longer.

In the case of the Cold Creek Trail, there does not seem to be any need to do this in order to accommodate both trail users. The road could easily accommodate the bikers and the creekside trail above the bridge could still be used for hikers without much change. I no longer use the Christmas Valley Trail in order to get to Dardenelles; I drive a bit longer to get to the main trailhead down the road and leave the revamped trail to the bikers.

Please reconsider doing any major changes to the Cold Creek Trail. I believe a hiker-only corridor there would be very low-impact to the environment and provide a needed vigorous "wet" trail to those of us living in town and wanting a nice afternoon hike. This trail has existed for quite a long time, probably since I moved here more than 30 years ago. Please don't take away one of Tahoe's most beautiful trails as an unneeded "fix" to a resolvable problem. Your funds and manpower could be used to much better advantage elsewhere.

Barbara Shirahama
South Lake Tahoe

Trail should be reserved for hikers
Why is it that hikers must continually give up their serenity to the Forest Service's idea of making "multiuse" (read that as "for mountain bikes") trails? The current threat is to the Cold Creek trail - a beautiful trail to High Meadow along a bubbly creek with the most glorious mix of aspens and firs in the area. The Cold Creek trail is a very old (1800s) historic trail made by local fishermen and hikers.

Lately, this trail has been abused by mountain bikers. It was not eroded before recently, when more and more mountain bikers began playing on it. Now, the Forest Service says the trail must be "fixed" - which may mean rerouting it so that it is a consistent grade and away from the stream and the aspens. This is not fair! We hikers (and there are many more of us than bikers) are sick and tired of having our trails made into endless boring switchbacks, we are tired of seeing bikers log rides built on the trails, and we are certainly tired of having to get off the trail (interrupting our aerobic stride on the steeper sections) to let the bikers pass.

We have already lost the Christmas Valley trail and the trail from Fountain Place to Armstrong PassWe have already lost the Christmas Valley trail and the trail from Fountain Place to Armstrong Pass. As there are other trails in the immediate area made specifically for mountain bikes, Cold Creek is the perfect place for a hikers-only trail. Let's keep the mountain bikes off the Cold Creek trail, and let them have their own trail on the road side of the creek, where there is plenty of room to build a perfect bike trail.

Let the Forest Service know that the Cold Creek trail - a gem in the middle of the populated area off Pioneer Trail - should not be altered except by keeping the bikes off. Enough is enough!

Gay Havens
South Lake Tahoe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts