Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
LBS Manager
Joined
·
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfiend is starting to get more couragous on her bike and starting to crash alot. Lately she has been a walking bruise with her lips busted up and her legs coverd in wounds. I think it is great that is riding more and better than ever before but when people see us together I think they think I beat her up. After only one year of riding see can do a 20 km loop of semi technical single trak in an hour and twenty six minutes soo I think shee is doing great by the way.
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
get her some pads for her legs and arms if you are really worried about her. There was a time in my beginners' curve where my hubby was really worried I was going to hurt myself.

formica
 

·
SS Grrrrrrrl
Joined
·
464 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
My girlfiend is starting to get more couragous on her bike and starting to crash alot. Lately she has been a walking bruise with her lips busted up and her legs coverd in wounds. I think it is great that is riding more and better than ever before but when people see us together I think they think I beat her up. After only one year of riding see can do a 20 km loop of semi technical single trak in an hour and twenty six minutes soo I think shee is doing great by the way.
Easily remedied with a t-shirt that reads: I'm not abused, I'm a mountain biker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
She has shin and knee pads but wont ware them because she thinks they look too hard core.
I have a friend like that. She broke her shoulder and still wouldn' t even wear armor on her motorcycle, let alone her mountain bike because she didn't think she was "good enough". I FINALLY talked her into wearing armor and it really helped boost her confidence and prevent injuries. It took about 2 years of nagging though... It really makes no sense if you think about it - if you're a beginner you NEED the armor, but lots of beginners are afraid they'll look like they're dressing above their skill level. IMO, if you've bled there, you've earned the right to wear armor to cover that spot if you want!
 

·
mtbr member since 1997
Joined
·
354 Posts
Too hard core!?

Johnny Hair Boy said:
She has shin and knee pads but wont ware them because she thinks they look too hard core.
It's funny that she doesn't think her cuts/bruises are not "hard core"--those are more of a broadcast of a hardcore rider than armour would be any day!

Actually, I felt a bit like her when I started Dh'ing. I didn't avoid the knee and shin pads, just the full armour. I just didn't think I was at the level where I needed them. My boyfriend nagged me to get some prior to a trip to Mt Ste Anne. I resisted and resisted but he finally convinced me that with my new FS bike I would be starting to ride faster and eventually I would really need it. On our first day at Ste Anne, I took such a huge header that I would have been out for the rest of the season (never mind the weekend) had I not had full armour on. Instead, fully protected, I got up with just a small scratch/bruise on my leg where I didn't have armour. I was soooooo happy he convinced me to do that. And he got the satisfaction of being right. ;-)

The best side benefit though, was the increased confidence. Knowing that I could survive the worst kind of crash let me take more risks (i.e. let go of my brakes) and build my skills. As the other poster said, it's the beginners who benefit the most from armour. I hope you can convince her that people will see her as "protected" rather than "hardcore" if she wears her armour.

Mary Ann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
I have a friend who was thrown from a horse. She hit the ground face first with her Smith Toasters taking a blow from a sharp rock intent on poking her eye out. The shades slid on the pointy rock and she ended up with a huge cut on her forhead, something like 11 stitches. Plus all the other bruising and black eye stuff. She was REALLY lucky the polycarbonite lenses worked and protected her eyes.

Later that night she and her BF were out to dinner after spending all day in the hospital and she could tell everyone was staring and thinking he beat her up. They finished their meal quickly and left to whispers but once at the truck he ran back inside and told everyone how she was hurt and that they ought to be a shamed of staring and whispering.

When she found out what he had done he was her hero.

Buy her some pad and tell her you don't want to get your ass kicked because someone else's misconception.

BTW, Smith glases RULE. Total warrenty replacement plus an extra pair. Story and pictures included.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
691 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
but when people see us together I think they think I beat her up.
IMHO what other people think is highly overrated!

I chuckled too over the "hard core" concern. What could look more hardcore than all that extremity carnage?

I started wearing full armor even for XC riding within a few months of taking up this sport. It was totally true for me that I needed protection all the more when my skill level was lower. I confess that I often go with out the chest protector anymore unless I am downhilling, but I still find full coverage helmet, and leg and arm protection mandatory for me.

Even with full armor there is no predicting when the next nasty hit is gonna get you. A tree branch came in between my helmet and glasses last Saturday with this as the result.

John W.
 

Attachments

·
internet axe murderer
Joined
·
220 Posts
You're the problem

Obviously, you're just not trying hard enough when you ride, or you'd be covered in bruises too. Then everyone would think your gf gives as good as she gets. :p

Spike

Johnny Hair Boy said:
My girlfiend is starting to get more couragous on her bike and starting to crash alot. Lately she has been a walking bruise with her lips busted up and her legs coverd in wounds. I think it is great that is riding more and better than ever before but when people see us together I think they think I beat her up. After only one year of riding see can do a 20 km loop of semi technical single trak in an hour and twenty six minutes soo I think shee is doing great by the way.
 

·
Tear it all out!
Joined
·
7,739 Posts
Thanks! I'm trying to convince my wife to get some upper body armour for riding the Whistler bike park. I emailed her your post and a link to this thread.
 

·
consistent default champ
Joined
·
747 Posts
So what would be good body armor to start with?

I am very nervous and scared going down hill or going over other scary obstacles. I hit my brakes way too much and then fall, even though I know that is what makes me fall. Should I just go with leg armor to start with? is one brand better than another? am I going to pass out from heat stroke in this weather?
 

·
~*~*~*~*~
Joined
·
590 Posts
A few of years ago, when I was starting to ride faster and subsequently falling all the time stage, I would get huge bruises. I showed a dinner plate size one on my thigh to the guys I work with, and explained how I got it, but I don't think they belived me because they offered to beat up my husband for me!
I've shown them pictures of me riding so they belive me now but they still jokingly offer to beat him up when my legs are particularly cut & bruised.
 

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Joined
·
66 Posts
dirtcrab said:
Easily remedied with a t-shirt that reads: I'm not abused, I'm a mountain biker.

oh girl you come up with some good ones!
last week i was wearing my shin gaurds and my husband looked at me and said " don't you think thats a little much?" No, gear is good, and i am not a beginner. i have my share of mtb beatings and scars that last forever. it sounds like she wants to do the big stuff, but tell her to take baby steps, she will build her confidence faster if she keeps the rubber side down!! :D
lis
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
brownieinSC said:
I am very nervous and scared going down hill or going over other scary obstacles. I hit my brakes way too much and then fall, even though I know that is what makes me fall. Should I just go with leg armor to start with? is one brand better than another? am I going to pass out from heat stroke in this weather?
I like the 611 4x4, the size start at XS which is good. Anything with neoprene or hard plastic with full coverage is going to be hot. Old hockey/skate pads that just cover the front may be the coolest stuff to wear, temperature wise. I got both because most of my wipe outs are one of 3 ways.... either I go over sideways and land on my knees, or I land on my elbows, or I land on both.

For me there's a huge difference in a few dings/scrapes/bruises to show off and major skin loss and damgage that take long time to heal.


formica
 

·
consistent default champ
Joined
·
747 Posts
formica said:
I like the 611 4x4, the size start at XS which is good. Anything with neoprene or hard plastic with full coverage is going to be hot. Old hockey/skate pads that just cover the front may be the coolest stuff to wear, temperature wise. I got both because most of my wipe outs are one of 3 ways.... either I go over sideways and land on my knees, or I land on my elbows, or I land on both.

For me there's a huge difference in a few dings/scrapes/bruises to show off and major skin loss and damgage that take long time to heal.


formica
hmmm, well I see them in s, m and large but I am not sure what size to get. the website does not say how to size yourself. I am 5'7", 130 ~ what do you think?
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
brownieinSC said:
hmmm, well I see them in s, m and large but I am not sure what size to get. the website does not say how to size yourself. I am 5'7", 130 ~ what do you think?

heh, go by how big around your calves are, I'm 5-3, 130 ( hmm, that doens't look so good next to your #s!!) and I have S but they barely fit around my nice muscular 14" calves.

~formica
 

·
consistent default champ
Joined
·
747 Posts
formica said:
heh, go by how big around your calves are, I'm 5-3, 130 ( hmm, that doens't look so good next to your #s!!) and I have S but they barely fit around my nice muscular 14" calves.

~formica
my calves are about 13.5 so I guess a small. (I promise I carry most my weight in my bloody hips like most women ~ I am skin and bones up top)
 

·
mtbr member since 1997
Joined
·
354 Posts
Had to explain a similar bruise once...

oldbroad said:
A few of years ago, when I was starting to ride faster and subsequently falling all the time stage, I would get huge bruises. I showed a dinner plate size one on my thigh to the guys I work with, and explained how I got it, but I don't think they belived me because they offered to beat up my husband for me!
I've shown them pictures of me riding so they belive me now but they still jokingly offer to beat him up when my legs are particularly cut & bruised.

To my doctor during my annual check up. Only it's a replacement doctor because my regular doc is not there. There I am, in the stirrups, and the doctor, her resident (why do they always have one of those during the intimate exams) and the nurse (the more the merrier I say) are eyeing my HUGE thigh bruise. I figure I'd better mention something before they start giving me the 20 questions routine, so I mention that I was biking and caught my handle bars on a tree and wiped out.

I could tell that the nurse and resident asking themselves how hell I could do that (they're thinking I'm riding a bike path) but the doctor asked me where I ride. I said "Bromont" and to my surprise, she asked "which trail?" So I said, "Bonzai" and then she said, "Oh, you're a hardcore rider--we usually ride the Extra Light." Talk about a surreal experience to talk mountain biking with a doctor who knows the trails I ride, when she just previously figured me for being abused.

;-)
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top