Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
jcd's best friend
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.outsideonline.com/2401088/cyclists-leaving-roads-for-dirt

I found this article to be quite interesting. I can understand the writer's perspective on this matter. I still enjoy cycling on the roads and streets in my area. Here, we have a lot of paved paths that are disconnected from the main roads which makes it completely safe for cyclists and other people who are staying active. At the same time, this article does shed some light about the boom in gravel cycling.

I think most of the problems that road cyclists face may be in larger cities where cars and bikes clash both figuratively and literally. I think cyclists still face issues in smaller cities due to the rise in bicycle commuting.

Overall, I think it's a healthy switch to change things up. I recently picked up gravel cycling and I love how it blends both worlds together. It also changes up my cycling habits too.

Have you all noticed an increase in mountain bikers and gravel riders in your area?

·
Registered
17,526 Posts

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I saw that, didn't read the whole thing but I'm sure it does help off road riding, and I've seen that in the forums. "Not new but roadie scared, moving to dirt".

We don't have really any true gravel roads, so it's MUPs or horse trails, and road with traffic in some spots, it is a bit scary but I try to be aware of my surroundings.

I took a shortcut today to ride dirt back home, I just prefer dirt when possible.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
I just watch drivers ahead of me (while I'm driving) that are in the bike lane and shake my head. That kind of drama is not for me...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Motorcycles and road bikes are in the same boat frequently. I rode a motorcycle for years and saw people ( drivers) do the scariest ****. fFwd 20 years and things are worse. Cell phones have changed the way people drive. When I am on the roads with my bike I’m very concerned.
I live in Colorado and I can honestly say these are some of the worst drivers I’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
I just watch drivers ahead of me (while I'm driving) that are in the bike lane and shake my head. That kind of drama is not for me...
Yeah man, it's so scary. Last summer there was a mama deer and two fawns crossing the road so everyone stopped... Except for one guy who was looking down towards his lap as he approached. You can guess what he was paying attention to.

He blew past the second fawn within a couple of feet at full speed and when he looked up he finally noticed all the other stopped cars but I could tell by his facial expression that he never even saw any of the deer. To hell with road biking near people like that.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,077 Posts
Yeah man, it's so scary. Last summer there was a mama deer and two fawns crossing the road so everyone stopped... Except for one guy who was looking down towards his lap as he approached. You can guess what he was paying attention to.

He blew past the second fawn within a couple of feet at full speed and when he looked up he finally noticed all the other stopped cars but I could tell by his facial expression that he never even saw any of the deer. To hell with road biking near people like that.
What was he looking at on his lap? :0

·
Cycologist
10,341 Posts
If they were driving in two car lanes, they'd be pulled over and ticketed. But somehow it's ok if one of the lanes is meant for the most vulnerable vehicles on the road and they are in a two+ ton killing machine.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I used to ride motorcycle until early 2000's. Stopped riding for a long time, got a bike again in 2014 or 2015. What a difference -now people are so distracted, so much differently than when I was last riding. Not only are motorcycle riders always on the defense, but it had gotten worse.

Before I started riding bicycles I would run a lot. Sometimes on roads, with adequate shoulders, etc. I would always run against traffic (because I wanted to see if I was about to get hit). I would always see people on a curve approach the paint stripe drifting wide and or simply not paying attention. I think part of it is because we are human, a driver looks at the rider/runner and of course we go towards what we are looking at. They could be look AT the person or they could be judging their relative position. Didn't matter though, so many people and distractions. I dislike riding on the road because on a bicycle you're closer to the paint stripe than I'd be as a runner. The drivers has less room for error. And for the cyclists that do ride road -I can't believe the confidence in them to ride the paint stripe with bars into the traveled way. I passed a cyclist the other day who barely went beyond the paint strive, and it was curvy. I couldn't pass because I couldn't see. What an idiot. And I was hauling my bike to the trails....one person who should be considerate and the rider made it so difficult to actually be considerate.

It's super scary to be on the road these days with all the distractions that come with operating a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
It is understandable but sad. If cyclist don't use the roads we will never gain greater control of them but it's terrible that we should have to risk our lives to do so. Most of the people I know who ride on busy roads have been hit. One guy who commutes into glasgow has been hit four times.

And no one seems to care. It would take real commitment from planners and law enforcement to sort it out but I don't see any sign of that. We are the bottom of the food chain. Probably slightly below deer.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Every "Dirt Roadiee" I have encountered on the trail is always head down, zero contact and rude/no trail educate = complete opposite of all the MTBeers I encounter that are fun friendly and having a good time!
I say send them ALL back to the pavement for good!!! :p

heheehe :)
Have a GREAT weekend!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.