Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up a Niner and was initially interested in the AIR 9 which is made of scandium. In the reviews a couple people commented on the scandium strength for 200+lbs riders. Anyone have experience with this frame material?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Like most materials used to make frames, it's probably fine if they use enough of it ;~)

I'd call Niner directly and ask them how they feel about clydes using that frame.

I don't think Scandium weighs much less per se, they just use less of it. I think mostly because they can butt the tubes further toward the end of the tubes/joints than they can with the other alloys they use.

How much over 200lbs are you?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Jeffj hit it right on the nose...Scandium is just a very small amount added to standard Aluminum. What it does is align the grains which increases fatigue resistance.

IF companies used the same amount of material as a standard frame it would be stronger...but instead they use less material for a lighter (and often) more compliant frame.

Check with Niner but I'd guess their EMD would be the stronger frame.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much over 200lbs are you?
More this time of year but around 240.

Check with Niner but I'd guess their EMD would be the stronger frame.
The EMD seems a little cheap to me...but that might just be me. The MCD is steel and that seems like a nice option if the scandium won't work.

I have an email to Niner asking what they think would be best for my size and riding type as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.