Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
681 Posts
SlowSSer said:
just curious. what's it ride like? more like aluminum or steel or ti?

(im jonesin for a salsa and have the means to get one at a wicked discount)
I'm assuming you're talking about the Juan Solo? I personally found that it was more like aluminum than steel. However, it did not have that aluminum vibration that I'm not fond of. It just felt stiff and wickedly fast. I mean real fast. You'd have to change your screen name here because it would no longer be accurate. It was just one of those frames that made you want to stand up and hammer just to feel the acceleration. If you're willing to give up a little compliance for that increased stiffness, I'd say go for it.

· ali'i hua
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gabe0807 said:
I'm assuming you're talking about the Juan Solo? I personally found that it was more like aluminum than steel. However, it did not have that aluminum vibration that I'm not fond of. It just felt stiff and wickedly fast. I mean real fast. You'd have to change your screen name here because it would no longer be accurate. It was just one of those frames that made you want to stand up and hammer just to feel the acceleration. If you're willing to give up a little compliance for that increased stiffness, I'd say go for it.
either the juan solo or the (gasp-gearie content!!!) XT/LX bandito- same weight, roughly.

heck, changing the screenname might be worth it!

I currently have a titus riddler (7000 something alu) and I love how it rides. adding another bike to the quiver would be a worthy endeavor due to this spankin deal. hmm. another geared bike? another SS?

· Registered
23,745 Posts
I saw one out on the trail a few weeks back. The guy riding it said he loved it; I didn't ask about the ride characteristics, though. Martini just got a Scandium JTS 'crosser, that he was raving about. Check for his post, maybe?

· ali'i hua
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eSSq said:
I saw one out on the trail a few weeks back. The guy riding it said he loved it; I didn't ask about the ride characteristics, though. Martini just got a Scandium JTS 'crosser, that he was raving about. Check for his post, maybe?
thanks for the info- figured that you'd just give me [email protected] for possibly getting another bike :D

dude- what happened to you joining us for friday fred last week? we all missed ya! heck, had to drink a extra saporo because you werent there.

· Registered
23,745 Posts
SlowSSer said:
dude- what happened to you joining us for friday fred last week? we all missed ya! heck, had to drink a extra saporo because you werent there.
Yeah, I couldn't get out of the office on time. Last minute client problem... lawyering would be much easier without clients! ;)

It would have been a nice evening for a ride, and a beer or 3.

· Registered
4,080 Posts
~martini~ has a scandium Kona cross bike

here's what he has to say. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=32399 I'd say it's fairly glowing on the attributes of scandium. I've been logging miles on a scandium road bike w/ carbon s/s and have to say that it a fabulous riding material. I describe the ride as "quiet." The bike just disappears under you as you roll out the miles.

· Registered
23,745 Posts
Totally OT

ssmike said:
I've been logging miles on a scandium road bike w/ carbon s/s and have to say that it a fabulous riding material. I describe the ride as "quiet." The bike just disappears under you as you roll out the miles.
So what do you think about the carbon seatstays...? I'm shopping for a new road bike and note that a lot of folks are running carbon seatstays, even with steel frames (*gasp* even the LeMond Zurich).

I'm thinking about a lower end ti Litespeed (no carbon stays) but am willing to consider informed opinions...

· Registered
4,080 Posts
eSSq said:
So what do you think about the carbon seatstays...? I'm shopping for a new road bike and note that a lot of folks are running carbon seatstays, even with steel frames (*gasp* even the LeMond Zurich).

I'm thinking about a lower end ti Litespeed (no carbon stays) but am willing to consider informed opinions...
I like the carbon s/s - although I think a full scandium road frame would also be a killer awesome riding frame too. Carbon stays improve the ride quality of most aluminum frames.

I'm also riding a Dedacciai steel road frame with Dedacciai carbon seat and chain stays. Carbon on a steel frame is very sweet too. Lighter weight, very stiff, but not harsh. The big block type monostays at the bottom bracket make for a very good 'out of the saddle' bike - good for climbers and sprinters alike. Carbon on a steel frame is a really nice combo. The Lemond bikes are sweet. There's a lot of decent riding frames, but there are few frames that when you ride them, you go "holy $hit, this is ab-so-fockin-be-a-yoo-ti-ful" And of course that comment goes hand-in-hand with the amount of money you spend.

I think one of the best bets for an affordable bike/frame are the Salsa scandium frames. On paper, they look really good. The wild paint jobs don't do much for me, though.

Off for a lunch ride on another road frame - Dedacciai EM2 w/ Dedacciai carbon stays. It rides sweet too! Back in a couple of hours!

· Registered
1,404 Posts
I demo'd the Juan Solo at JTMBW- it was the kind of bike you could flick around- If I had the $$ I would buy one....it was more compliant than any alu bike I have ridden, but still stiff and light! The TT seemed a little short for me, though...(standover was correct)

· ali'i hua
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ssmike said:
here's what he has to say. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=32399 I'd say it's fairly glowing on the attributes of scandium. I've been logging miles on a scandium road bike w/ carbon s/s and have to say that it a fabulous riding material. I describe the ride as "quiet." The bike just disappears under you as you roll out the miles.
thanks for the linky!

"the bike just dissapears" is EXACTLY why I love my dean and my titus. oh, and the litespeed roadie fits in as well- the only thing I hear is the stuff on the road and the wind rushing around me. :D

· ali'i hua
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dankilling said:
I demo'd the Juan Solo at JTMBW- it was the kind of bike you could flick around- If I had the $$ I would buy one....it was more compliant than any alu bike I have ridden, but still stiff and light! The TT seemed a little short for me, though...(standover was correct)
TT length is causing isues for myself as well- both 26ers are about 23.5 inches TT (center to center, of course) for a large titus (about 19") and a 19" dean. im wondering if the compromise of the 20" salsa would yield the right TT length (barely under 23"), but be too tall for the standover?

(yes, a email is into the peeps at salsa)

· Registered
23,745 Posts
Well if you're not running discs, I would suggest the VooDoo Sobo or a RM Vertex TsC. Or an older Kona Explosif white/black and then run an ENO. I've been under the impression that the smaller diameter scandium tubesets ride more like steel than the larger diameter tubesets, like the Juan Solo. But, of course, for discs a EBB is much better than not, and of course no disc ENO, yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.