Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an avid mountain biker and occasional racer and I've determined that, for my riding style and for the type of trail I ride on most often (flat, fast, high-freq bumps), a 29er might suit me. Right now I am riding a 2001 raced out STP 400, while I'll admit that it's a beast climbing and on rolling trails, I am really not convinced about the upsides to carbon, especially off-road. I'll describe myself and maybe somebody can point me in the right direction!? I'm 6'0, my weight fluxuates from the high 160's to the high 170's depending on the season. I have a BMX background and apply that type of riding style to my xc exploits ( I stand more than most people and use power and finesse as opposed to even-pacing and aerobic fitness). I like quick, twitchy bikes and would rather bunny-hop a log-over than to ride over it. Stiffness is very important to me and that is one of the drawbacks to my STP, I'm not a carbon basher, probably more due to poor Trek frame design. I like the On-one scandal and niner frame design-looks like a compact road frame? I should also say that in most cases, my frames end up snapping and cracking before I retire them so the SIR9, due to steels' repairability, is an added bonus at the expense of one pound on the scandal. I ride my bikes hard and am currently training for some endurance events this summer - which frame do you guys think suits me best? If you like, you may point me in another direction manufacturer-wise as the only thing I'm sure of is that I am not interested in a FS set-up. thanks! ryan

·
SALSAFIED endurance racer
498 Posts
I'd go for the Scandal - I punished mine for a whole season of endurance racing with some hard crashes and mine works and looks still like it's new due to the anodisation which is really great. I do a lot of racing in the big ring front because I have a good power to weight rate and the scandal is very stiff but on the other hand it filters out some of the vibrations which is great for endurance racing ... as I said before I'd go for the SCANDAL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was hoping a scandal rider would post something because I don't beleive the bke review section of MTBR has a scandal option yet. Do you ride rigid for endurance events or maybe that's a stupid question...?

·
SALSAFIED endurance racer
498 Posts
I rode it with a WB BW 0.8 - but now I have an On-One carbon fork which seems great but I did not ride enough so I can't say a lot about it ...

I did arround 1000 miles only racing on the Scandal and a lot of miles during the training ...

I also have an Inbred (steel) and the ride very similar alltough the one is scandium and the other steel ....

I think you'll love the Scandal ...

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
For bunny hopping and stuff like that the Niner is outstanding, because the frame has so much spring in it. It positively twangs. It also has tremendous bump compliance and you can crash it hard and not feel you have to go over it with a magnifying glass looking for cracks.

How important the weight is only you can decide.

The Niner is pretty stiff but not a rock, however you'd have to be mashing like a gorilla to get anything you'd call 'flex'. It's more that it very slightly compresses under load then springs back, powering you forward... the bent steel chainstays and 853 tubing I guess... anyway, this is really what gives it its character as a ride... it's quite a specific feel and tends to leave me with a big fat grin on my face.

Definitely try one if you can find one... it's an awesome frame. I personally wouldn't trade it for the aluminum version, even if it were three pounds lighter.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
pinkheadedbug said:
For bunny hopping and stuff like that the Niner is outstanding, because the frame has so much spring in it. It positively twangs. It also has tremendous bump compliance and you can crash it hard and not feel you have to go over it with a magnifying glass looking for cracks.

How important the weight is only you can decide.

The Niner is pretty stiff but not a rock, however you'd have to be mashing like a gorilla to get anything you'd call 'flex'. It's more that it very slightly compresses under load then springs back, powering you forward... the bent steel chainstays and 853 tubing I guess... anyway, this is really what gives it its character as a ride... it's quite a specific feel and tends to leave me with a big fat grin on my face.

Definitely try one if you can find one... it's an awesome frame. I personally wouldn't trade it for the aluminum version, even if it were three pounds lighter.
I agree...my SIR 9 is a "keeper".

I think that frames costing a lot more money would be glad to have the handling and 'feel' of the SIR 9. It's an outstandingly good frame.

R.

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
Rainman said:
I agree...my SIR 9 is a "keeper".

I think that frames costing a lot more money would be glad to have the handling and 'feel' of the SIR 9. It's an outstandingly good frame.

R.
3rd that. Love my SIR9

·
Registered
803 Posts
is it not possible for you to demo either bikes?

i would be hard pressed to chose either one with all the glowing reviews. i would go for SIR9, just because the tubes are smaller. :) but if you had listed the Inbred 29er steel, then i cant decide, maybe cost would be the deciding factor.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
The SIR9 is not stiff-as-in-utterly-rigid but not flexy-as-in-noodle either.

I don't like either of those feelings but I like where the SIR9 ends up.

·
Registered
19,099 Posts
Since stiffness is very important to you I'd definitely get the Scandal (or at least not the sir9). The sir9 is a very sweet bike, but its liveliness comes from the springy tubing. I have owned one for around a year or so, along with an On-One Inbred that I've had for about two years. I grab the similarly-equipped Inbred 99% of the time even though it's over a pound heavier simply because the sir9 feels very flexible in the front end.

What I mean is, when I'm cruising down a flat stretch I can flick the bars back and forth just a touch and it's almost as if I get speed-wobbles. On a speedy, choppy descent the sir9 vertical compliance is outstanding, but the lateral suppleness draws my attention (in a negative way). I'm sure no one will agree with me here since no one did the last time I brought it up, but riding my two similar bikes back-to-back I can really see and feel the flexibility. I typically grab the Niner on a big climbing day but am starting just stick with the Inbred even for those.

I'm 5'10", 180lbs., masher.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've not ridden the SIR but my ScandAL is a treat. It is a remarkably compliant ride but stiff enough to be stiff - and that is with 250 lbs mashing it about. As for steel over alu? Nah - holds no water for me. Depends on the tubes and how it is designed/built. Rockstarracing - were you bullied by Brant as a child?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Like saying Harley is the best and fastest bike in the world. Not.

Build quality. Equal
853 better than Scandium? Depends on the use
Better tubing? Depends on the use
Lighter? Scandium
Nicer to ride? Depends on the rider
Looks? Paint or anodized. Your choice

Niner makes 2 Scandiums and 1 853. Which is better? Depends on the rider.

I'd pick the most important courses I'd be racing on, decide which bike fits the bill the best, and nitpick from there (tires, fork, gearing, etc)

RockStarRacing said:
niner all the way, better build quality, better quality tubing, lighter, nicer to ride, looks a million times better, need i say anymore

·
2006 sswc RockStar
928 Posts
bullied, as if, get a grip ;0)..................... no i have owned on one stuff before and its not bad, as it turns out im gonna buy another pompino as i really liked the last one, just that ive ridden a niner and its mint, just dont think they compare, but that reflects on the price as well one is cheaper. and know a few people who have had on one stuff that has had bad customer service, but they do nice riding gear! i have 3 jerseys, a top and some shorts, wear them all the time( i wash them of course!) so i do some advertising so i cant be bagging them to much, and steel is better than alu IMO, but not better than ti, hmmmm ti,,,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.