Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do yall think? tryin to keep a friend from gettin screwed. hes trying to sell a bike, sounds like a bad ****in deal to me.....what the potential buyer sent him...

Hello
I saw your advert on the web i am interested in
buying the, 2006 Commencal Combi Disc ,
I am based in UNITED KINGDOM,
my shiping broker will be coming for the pick up
after payments has been made, i am willing to pay $600
get back to me if my offer is ok by you.kind regards
MAC

then...

there won't be any probs about the shipment,after
payment ,my shipping broker will be coming for the pickup at your place
.I have several goods with them and i want them all shipped together
.As regards payment,this is what i am going to do I have a client in
the USA who is owing me US$2500 i would instruct him to make out
certified check(money order) to you in that amount and as soon as it
clears your bank.you can now deduct your money from it and send the
balance to my shipping broker, Although the value of the check
is more than the asking price but i think i should be able to trust you with my
balance. The reason why i am doing this is that it would take
a checksent from over here in UK 30days to clear over there,whereas a check
sent from the! US would clear tops within 48hrs.Please let me have your
full contact address where the check will be mailed out to,also i will
like to know the full name and your phone number also the check will be made out to. so that i can
instruct my client to make out the check to you.
get back to me as soon as you get this mail so that we can round things
up in a timely fashion. kind regards
MAC

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
anotherbrian said:
Just the fact that they are going to send you _more_ money than you actually want should trigger all sorts of alarms.

This has to be one of the most widely distributed scams, and I can't believe anyone would fall for it. There are several threads on MTBR that show nearly identical emails, here is one:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=250809
Yeah, it's not the fact that he's based in the UK... it's that he's offering more than the asking price and wants you to give him change.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
scam

Don't even entertain the though of doing this. Even if the guy sends a certified check that initially clears, it will inevitably be caught as a fraudulent document and you'll be screwed. Don't do it under any circumstance. This is a classic scam that has the same ending every time.

Bob

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
Im not going to give the shipping broker my bike until I have the money cashed in the bank. This isnt a Ebay deal. I posted it on craigslist. And he is going to write two money orders one for me and one for himself (somplicated) But dont worry im not giving my baby away without the money in the bank

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
motormonkeyr6 said:
Im not going to give the shipping broker my bike until I have the money cashed in the bank. This isnt a Ebay deal. I posted it on craigslist. And he is going to write two money orders one for me and one for himself (somplicated) But dont worry im not giving my baby away without the money in the bank
It isn't about the bike though ... it is about you going to the bank, cashing the fake check or money order, sending him the legit money, and then you getting screwed when your bank determines what you deposited with them is bogus.

No bank is going to let you walk in and on the spot cash a check/money order that was not issued by their bank or for which you do not have an account with. If you have an account with the bank, they might give you the cash outright (rather than waiting for the funds to clear), however they will come after you later when the check/money order bounces.

Just forget about it now ... its a scam and you are going to waste your time at the minimum and get hosed for $$$ at the maximum.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's a scam.

To put it another way: Don't take the deal, it is a scam. There is no doubt whatsoever that this is a scam.

Here's how the scam gets you:

The bank accepts the checks and funds your account. It may take a week or two for the check to run it's course and be discovered to be a forgery - The scammer is lying when he says the check clears in 48 hrs tops. When this is discovered, the bank wants their money back and YOU are responsible to give it to them. Regardless of whether or not you knew it was fake, you are still the person who passed a bad check by cashing or depositing it at your bank.

Just because you have the money in the bank, doesn't mean it's a done deal. The bank will take what they can get out of your account and you owe them the rest.

Now you are out the bike, the cash for the bike, and the extra amount that you gave the scammer.

If you don't have the cash anymore, the bank will go after your assetts. Since you are a minor they can and will go after your parents to pay them back. How do you feel about knowingly involving your parents in this scam.

This is quoted from Craigslist:
"FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later."

Don't even think about taking this deal. It is a scam.

·
Registered
193 Posts
ScottJensen said:
Although the value of the check
is more than the asking price but i think i should be able to trust you with my
balance.MAC
Who is he Father Christmas? World just dont work that way. SCAM big time!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.