Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a used (titanium if possible) 29er, used. I found one for sale through backpage.com. When I responded to the add the seller emailed me back and said that he had relocated to Italy and the sale of the bike is being handled by a third party escrow firm. He sent me a link to a site for Selco Transactions. I can't find any information on the company through a Google search.

Here is the site: selco dot shop dot ms (I haven't made 10 posts yet).

The site doesn't seem to have any security certificates. I don't want to miss out on the perfect bike but don't want to spend my bike savings on a scam either.

Has anyone heard of, or used, Selco Transactions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Situation sounds the same, even the same Web site for the ad (backpage.com) is mentionned. I reported the add to backpage.com and got a message that said "don't worry if you reported this in error, it takes multiple reports before an add is removed".

·
Registered
480 Posts
+1 Fraud

Thx to all who posted here. I got all excited about a carbon Zaskar on a backpage ad just yesterday...same exact story...guy has moved to Italy and hired this company to sell the bike for him etc. Of course the price was attractive...not a giveaway but a really good deal. I corresponded with the "seller" twice now via emails but this company's website lacked the usual professional attributes and not accepting PayPal etc. was a flag. I googled and the lack of info on the company was a flag. Then, I saw this post and that was that. Same scam to the tee.

So like you I am bummed and pretty mad that these people are lying and scamming...outrageous like all scams. We even discussed some details of the bike and the person on the other end totally just played into it...better than most scams I've come across and totally clear English writing, husband and wife email address etc.

Well I'm bummed but I believe in God and that He will make all things right in the end. And again I thank you for posting this for my sake and others!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check out the other bikes direct bikes. They've got the 29er Ti SRAM XO model size 17.5" for $2099.95. I would post the url but I don't have enough posts yet :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, email from a husband/wife. Bike was a Moots Mooto X YBB for 2500. Ad was taken down when I started asking questions about Selco. Scammer had a good back story.

Just bought a Moots YBB 26 from a guy (after much verification). Wanted a 29er but need something to ride now and will keep looking. The seller told me that every 2/3 inquires was someone trying to scam him to get the bike. We spent a week checking each other out before agreeing on the transaction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts