Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a warning for you out there possibly posting a classified ad. Since I bought tscheezy's XCE I went ahead and put my medium of the same in the classifieds. The first offer I got was from a gent in the UK, so I responded giving him the first option. Then I get a return correspondence offering a huge overpayment, requesting that I return the difference.

If you aren't familiar with this type of scam, check out the scam alert on the classifieds page, and you get walked right through the process. If you are familiar, send all your junk spams to [email protected]

And what really torqued me was his e-mail subject heading of "Based on Trust." Snakes. Stay on your toes,
Randy

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Ah yes - the overseas overpayment scam. When I listed my Jamis for sale, I got an offer from "Josh Howie" a "minner" who extracts ore from the ground - offering about $200 more than my asking price. After a little investigation I found copies of dozens of emails with virtually the exact same BS and only a minor name change "Jed Hoopie", "John Howser" on and on and on - dirtbags all of 'em.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Did you ever think that maybe this "Tscheezy" character was setting you up from the beginning, and really is [email protected], not the hapless twit you took him for? It's all a smoke screen, along the lines of "I used to be in a barbershop quartet in Skokie Illinois..." Do you really think he pays for all those Turners by counting fish?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
tscheezy said:
Shut up, miles! You are ruining everything...
Hey, sorry if I blew your cover man, I was just trying to get Endo to step back, look at the big picture, and consider the possibilities.

I guess I have a certain amount of empathy for a fellow rider who has experienced first hand the perils of riding a medium XCE with a too-long stem, only to try a large Spot and discover what the bike should really be capable of. I'd be curious to try a large XCE now to test my suspicions of how the right size would handle, but I can't quite see making like Endo (or you until recently) and actually owning a large of each. Now a Flux is a different story altogther...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine was a spanish dude

I got a cheque for 2500 for a 400 fork!! Cheque came from a Parks and Gardens charity, this muppet called himself Paul Pocketty! His Surname gives away his intention!

When I told him I had sold the item to someone else (way after I told him I wasn't accepting a 2500 pound cheque) He said I should cash the cheque and take out anyrhing I wanted for the inconvienience and then send him the rest! Problem is, cheques as you will probably know, can be with drawn or cancelled any time even years after they are issued! So never take a cheque as payment for the stuff you sell in the classifieds!

Funny thing is, he thought the Maverick forks I was selling were for a motorbike!! :D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Does this sound suspect?

I just posted a Romic, with a picture included, on the classifieds and almost immediately got a message, from a Reverend none the less, that sounds kinda suspect...

Reverend .Jeffs. R Abraham said:
Good Day. Am interested in your (Romic) it sound relatively new. Also can you send me the Pics of this (Romic) to me? At this point, i would like to register my intention to purchase the (Romic) as i will handle the shipping and its cost to the Holland through my registered and certified Shipping agent. Is the (Romic) still available for sale? Are you still interested in selling it? Are there anymore information i need to know? What is your LAST PRICE? Are there any defects that i need to know about? Are you the FIRST OWNER? Please do get back to me as soon as possible.
Remain Bless.
He's using a "certified Shipping agent" and he'd like "pics of this (Romic)." Wow, this is priceless. I like how he's used some kinda macro to automatically insert (Romic). HA!

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another reverend just attempted to bait me

My second scam attempt is from the Reverend Smith Jonathan from Holland. Boy they are really stooping low with the religious association to prey on your trust. I think my inquiry is verbatim like yours, just insert "Turner XCE" instead of "Romic." Bastages, I think I'll play along and make him invest some time and postage to send me a bogus cashiers check.

Randy

·
Registered
485 Posts
EndoRando said:
My second scam attempt is from the Reverend Smith Jonathan from Holland. Boy they are really stooping low with the religious association to prey on your trust. I think my inquiry is verbatim like yours, just insert "Turner XCE" instead of "Romic." Bastages, I think I'll play along and make him invest some time and postage to send me a bogus cashiers check.

Randy
Check out this website for some awesome stories from scambaiters.
www.419eater.com

The 419 scam isn't quite the same as the one here, but these stories are funny nonetheless. Check out the letters page. Here, some scambaiters have gotten scammers to waste $100s.

Justen

·
Fragile
253 Posts
Ha ha ha, that's a good one.

Tscheezy, did you ever get any scammers interested in your spleen ("You ever seen a spleen that large?" "No, not since breakfast.")? Or, was it a kidney. . .I can't remember. Anyway, maybe something like this. . .
Good Day. Am interested in your (Spleen) it sound relatively new. Also can you send me the Pics of this (Spleen) to me? At this point, i would like to register my intention to purchase the (Spleen) as i will handle the shipping and its cost to the Holland through my registered and certified Shipping agent. Is the (Spleen) still available for sale? Are you still interested in selling it? Are there anymore information i need to know? What is your LAST PRICE? Are there any defects that i need to know about? Are you the FIRST OWNER? Please do get back to me as soon as possible.Remain Bless.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Oh man, they just keep getting better...

ray baker said:
HELLO,
I AM A BUSINESS MAN I DEAL IN BUYING AND SELLING OF Rear Shock,SO I CAME ACROSS YOUR ADVERT IN THE AD ABOUT THE Rear Shock.AND ALSO I WILL LIKE YOU TO KNOW THAT I HAVE A COSTOMER WHO IS READY TO BUY YOUR Rear Shock I WILL LIKE YOU TO GET BACK TO ME WITH THE LAST PRICE AND THE PRESENT CONDITION OF THE Frameset.FURTHER MORE THE MODE OF PAYMENT WILL BE CASHIER CHEQUE.PLS GET BACK TO ME ASAP SO THAT WE CAN CONTINUE THIS TRANSACTION.
REGARD...

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
.........I have received the same emails posted here already..plus this one:

Scammer said:
My name is Sand Scott
I'm highly intersted in your advert.
Pls,what is your last price ??
Tell me the present condition.
Preffered method of payment is MONEY ORDER OR a certified cashier's check in US
CURRENCY
The shipping cost will be my own responsibility.
I'll be expecting your mail soonest.if really you are very interested.
Send pics if really avilable.
Pls reply today.

BUYER INFORMATION
NAME.. PAULA FLOYD
ADDRESS.. The Royal Citadel
ZIP CODE.. PL1 2QD
CITY.. Plymouth
STATE... Devon
COUNTRY.. England
(HOME,OFFICE,CELL + 44 7040 11 7440
(EMAIL)

Cheers
Sand
--

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse or anything but I just couldn't resist posting this one. Last one I promise...

Sandra Terry said:
Hiii Good Day,
I came accros ur ads (ADS) which am intrested in buying from u.
Now i only want to know of its still available.
If available i will want u to get back to me with present condition on it.
Also i will want u to know that i shall be paying with a BANKERS CERTIFIED CASHIERS OR MONEYORDER CHEQUE and if u are ok with it pls do get back to me so that we can conclude on everything today.
Thanks soo much and i look up to ur urgent response today.
Reagards..

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
unfortunately one of our local racers in Missoula got scammed on that very angle. he needed cash and sold one of his frames received under sponsorship. the buyer pulled the excess/refund gig and our local boy got hosed. sad story.

beware the Trojan Gift Horse!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.