Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Norðwegr
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you buy a zero pivot Scalpel designed for 27.5 wheels?

I sure would after swapping out the wheels on my 26" Scalpel, it's the most capable allround and fun bike I've ever ridden. I'm even contemplating picking up a spare frame incase Cannondale doesn't release a dedicated 27.5 model next year.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Scalpel with 27.5

Would you buy a zero pivot Scalpel designed for 27.5 wheels?

I sure would after swapping out the wheels on my 26" Scalpel, it's the most capable allround and fun bike I've ever ridden. I'm even contemplating picking up a spare frame incase Cannondale doesn't release a dedicated 27.5 model next year.
I agree with you 100%- I'm running a 27.5 with 28/42t rings and this thing flies !!!

Also have a brand new "Ultimate CFR Frame" for a spare which I will also build with 27.5 and possibly XX1 :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'd be surprised if cannondale comes out with a 27.5 scalpel. They already have the 29er version that is probably one of, if not THE best bike I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I haven't tested it, but, it would take a very skinny 27.5 tire to fit in the rear of my '08 because of the brace. That's if it would fit at all.

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
I haven't tested it, but, it would take a very skinny 27.5 tire to fit in the rear of my '08 because of the brace. That's if it would fit at all.
Different bike but my 2013 trigger 2 has 2.25 conti's and I just don't think there's anyway id get a 27.5 in there. I don't even care for anything less for my trail bike. There's literally about 1cm clearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. I would buy a Scalpel 27.5 over either a 26 or 29 everyday.

For where I mostly ride, the 27.5 would be the best of everything ever in the whole world.

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
Just going to point out though that I really don't believe (and I have tried 27.5) there is significant enough difference in handling for the sake of .75 of an inch either side of the hub to bother with a conversion. New bike though completely.

·
Registered
456 Posts
26" vs 27.5"

Here's a little back to back ride comparison between the Scalpel 26" and Scalpel 27.5"-
Test was done @ Short Intermediate-Advance XC Trail @ Water Dog Lake, Belmont CA.-
Same frame, rider, gearing both on Stans Crest Wheels with Schwalbe Tires.

It's surely nice to be able to switch between the two wheel sizes with this frame :thumbsup:

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
The thing with time comparisons is the fact they don't account for the most important point of all. FUN FACTOR. I do like the 27.5s but the wheel I personally have the best time on is still the 26 and that to me is more valuable than a strava'd six minutes.

Just my opinion. I mentioned earlier that, for me, its not worth buyin a new fork and wheel set for the performance improvement.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Here's a little back to back ride comparison between the Scalpel 26" and Scalpel 27.5"...

It's surely nice to be able to switch between the two wheel sizes with this frame :thumbsup:
What year Scalpel? Do you have pics of the rear clearance?

Just my opinion. I mentioned earlier that, for me, its not worth buyin a new fork and wheel set for the performance improvement.
A new wheelset, yes. But, depending on the fork, it is likely not needed to upgrade. I think many lefty forks can be modified for the larger size. Fox is another fork that i hear fits with no modification.

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts

A new wheelset, yes. But, depending on the fork, it is likely not needed to upgrade. I think many lefty forks can be modified for the larger size. Fox is another fork that i hear fits with no modification.
My bad I forgot about the lefty. That be true sir.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The 27.5 conversion will work on 2011-2012 Scalpel. I have a 2013 (late production built) Scalpel CFR (same as a 2011-2012). The conversion will not work on <2010 Scalpel 100 frames unless frame mods are in place.

I'm running Rocket Rons 2.1 rear and Racing Ralph 2.25 front both in the 27.5 size. I have no desire to put anything wider than a 2.1 (rears) for XC application.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The thing with time comparisons is the fact they don't account for the most important point of all. FUN FACTOR. I do like the 27.5s but the wheel I personally have the best time on is still the 26 and that to me is more valuable than a strava'd six minutes.

The simple back to back comparison was between the two wheel sizes (26" vs 27.5") base on my experience on the same Scalpel frame/ components and not Scalpel VS ??

If it tickles your fancy taking it easier -so be it. The Scalpel is a "Race Bike "out of the box, the 27.5 was a performance upgrade (worth every cent IMO) and will sure put a grin on most faces looking for "Performance" upgrade.

I don't know what type of Scalpel/ fork you have but the only extra I had to buy was the Stans 650B wheelset- which tucked nicely on my stock Carbon Lefty XLR.

Strava will also not tell you how fun and challenging a course is (rocks, roots, ruts, switchbacks, single tracks etc).

For me completing it faster means I was having more fun ;)

cheers-

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The 27.5 conversion will work on 2011-2012 Scalpel. I have a 2013 (late production built) Scalpel CFR (same as a 2011-2012). The conversion will not work on <2010 Scalpel 100 frames unless frame mods are in place.
I just confirmed this. Using a 650bx2.1 wheel, i was rubbing the brace that is across the chainstays.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I just confirmed this. Using a 650bx2.1 wheel, i was rubbing the brace that is across the chainstays.
Yeah, I have also tried it on my 2010 and didn't work however you can use 650b up front, not sure if you will like it- others swear by it but for me the chemistry wasn't there.

·
Redcoat
1,005 Posts
The simple back to back comparison was between the two wheel sizes (26" vs 27.5") base on my experience on the same Scalpel frame/ components and not Scalpel VS ??

If it tickles your fancy taking it easier -so be it. The Scalpel is a "Race Bike "out of the box, the 27.5 was a performance upgrade (worth every cent IMO) and will sure put a grin on most faces looking for "Performance" upgrade.

I don't know what type of Scalpel/ fork you have but the only extra I had to buy was the Stans 650B wheelset- which tucked nicely on my stock Carbon Lefty XLR.

Strava will also not tell you how fun and challenging a course is (rocks, roots, ruts, switchbacks, single tracks etc).

For me completing it faster means I was having more fun ;)

cheers-
Mate whatever floats your boat. I ride enduro so different category but I'd love to ride with you sometime and see how easy I like to take it ;).

I'm no expert on xc but if you can run two different wheel widths and you like the way it feels, all credit to you my man. Ain't no right or wrong.

don't be so hasty to say people who ride 26ers and prefer them take it easy. They may laugh at you whilst they go past. ;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mate whatever floats your boat. I ride enduro so different category but I'd love to ride with you sometime and see how easy I like to take it ;).

I'm no expert on xc but if you can run two different wheel widths and you like the way it feels, all credit to you my man. Ain't no right or wrong.

don't be so hasty to say people who ride 26ers and prefer them take it easy. They may laugh at you whilst they go past. ;)

Bud- this topic is about a Scalpel 26" and a Scalpel 27.5" NOTHING else. Its not a Scalpel vs 26" Enduro or anything for that matter.

If you experienced something differently with your Scalpel 26 and your Scalpel 27.5 (not your Enduro bike)-share it with us.

If you are from the area (which I sense you are) and sincerely want to experience XC ridng with me- I'm open for a friendly XC ride :thumbsup:.

I'm often @ Skeggs (ECDM) during weekends and WDL during the week both are fun and challenging XC trails-

If you want to try riding the Scalpel 27.5 you are welcome to it -

cheers-

PS- I have never bashed you or anyone with a 26" as you claim- You've got it confused with your own statement mate ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
RaRa/RoRo

Spartan said
I'm running Rocket Rons 2.1 rear and Racing Ralph 2.25 front
Interesting...
I'm running the RoRos up front (better traction than RaRas) and RaRas in the Back (Better Rolling than RoRos)...
Both 2.25 on my Flash and Scalpel 29er...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts