Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a Scalpel 1000 and have slowly been upgrading when the $$$ permits. I went with full XO (which I love) and now have focused on the wheelset. I race this bike but it also serves as my all-mtn ride, since I sold my Prophet. My riding style has changed since I got the Scalpel and have fell in love with the speed. On that same thought, I'm only an intermidiate rider so sometimes I'm not as smooth over stuff as I should be. So durability/reliability is more important to me than weight, but surely the main goal is to lower the rotational weight.

Will the Mavic SL's hold up? Any complaints/problems with these? Did I hear somewhere that they were getting improved for 07? Or would the heavier 819's be better?

I guess the words still out on the industry 9 stuff.

Any others?

Thanks, Mike

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Crossmax SL are quite strong, impressive. As far as durability goes, the only thing to look out for on these is the freehub, you need to relube it every few months so it last a long time. I wouldn't be worried about their strength, I run these on my Prophet and hit jumps and small drops every now and then and they are holding fine.

I would wait for the 2007 models though. The freehub has been improved for better reliability and less maintenance (that's what Mavic says, I haven't seen the new internals) and they have been lightened by 150 grams. There are two versions. Crossmax SL are still silver and there is the SLR that are black with one red spoke and red hubs. They are the same wheels but the SLR comes with lighter Ti Skewers (20 grams saving but since we only get the rear one on Lefty wheelsets, it must be closer to 10 grams) and a wheelbag. The SLR will be slightly more expensive. They are being produced right now with availability being around September.

2007 Crossmax SL disc:

2007 Crossmax SLR disc:

Industry 9 wheels can be made lighter if you don't want UST rims and even though they haven't been out for long, I'm sure they are quite strong and their freehub is better than Mavic's... at least, better than Mavic's FTS-L, we'll see about their new FTS-X featured on the 2007 range.

Other choices are custom wheels... Cheaper, pick the rims, spokes, nipples and rear hub you like. There are other complete wheelsets out there but I wouldn't go there, Spinergy are unreliable and not stiff enough for most and Xentis composite wheels are hard to find and cost a lot.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wheels for your scalpel.

I ride the Mavic Sl on my Rush 3000 and I have no problems with them whatsoever, they are a great wheel very durable IMO and light weight. But I'm ordering some wheels from Industry nine, I called them up and talked to them about there wheels. They told me there wheels are lighter and stronger then the cross max, plus you can customize the hub and spokes to match your bike. They also told me that there all mountain wheel they have used on downhill courses stood up to the abuse and like I said earlier they are lighter then the cross max I think by 40 or 50 grams I might be wrong though. In any case you won't go wrong with either.:thumbsup:

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
C & D's Dad said:
I ride the Mavic Sl on my Rush 3000 and I have no problems with them whatsoever, they are a great wheel very durable IMO and light weight. But I'm ordering some wheels from Industry nine, I called them up and talked to them about there wheels. They told me there wheels are lighter and stronger then the cross max, plus you can customize the hub and spokes to match your bike. They also told me that there all mountain wheel they have used on downhill courses stood up to the abuse and like I said earlier they are lighter then the cross max I think by 40 or 50 grams I might be wrong though. In any case you won't go wrong with either.:thumbsup:
In my opinion it is difficult to make weight claims without a specific RIM identified. Still the I9's look to be fantastic wheels. But then again, so do the 07 Cross Maxx SL / SLR's.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
If you want a UST rim (a true UST: Mavic), I think the Crossmax will be lighter than a Industry 9 with the lightest UST rim, the Mavic XM819. I9 have many options that change their weight: different spoke gauge, alloy/steel endcaps, 3 or 6 degrees engagment freehub, rims...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Wheel Set for Scalpel

Dan and the rest of the riders make some very good points- I personaly have had good luck with the Cross Max SL's on my Scalpel:thumbsup: - good shopping!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I put a set of ZTR Olympic with DT240/Lefty hubs and Revolution spokes, and they are a bit lighter than SL and easyer to install normal tires with milk.

but, for some people, they don't look as sexy as SLs... :rolleyes:

they look like this:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
kenz76 said:
I put a set of ZTR Olympic with DT240/Lefty hubs and Revolution spokes, and they are a bit lighter than SL and easyer to install normal tires with milk.

but, for some people, they don't look as sexy as SLs... :rolleyes:
ZTR rims are crazy light for sure but not as strong, not as stiff and won't work as well for UST (UST rim and UST tires is the best way to go for reliability) compared to the Crossmax SL/SLR... But for racers who don't mind going through the trouble of doing DIY tubeless, these wheels are fast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.