Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2009 Team Scalpel and love the way it climbs...but every once in a while (which seems to becoming more often) I crave a more plush front end. The 110 SL SPEED just doesn't handel the bumps like a 140 RLC. Has anyone ever tried a 140/Max on a Scalpel? I am wondering how much it will effect the handling due to the headtube angle. Thoughts.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,469 Posts
If you love the handling as is, like Nathan said, it will affect the HTA in a way that you may not like. It'll slacken about a degree, and feel more wandery than before.

You could also install a 2011 PBR damper in, much more tunable than your current cartridge, or, if you've never had the fork worked on, it may just be old tired, and dried out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
If you love the handling as is, like Nathan said, it will affect the HTA in a way that you may not like. It'll slacken about a degree, and feel more wandery than before.
of course he could switch the steerer to a lefty4all and use a canecreek angleset to adjust the headangle accordingly

expensive workaround though

·
Registered
70 Posts
YB1 said:
What about the 2011 Lefty Ultra120 PBR? That should work on '09 Scalpel right??
I just looked through the Scalpel user manual today, and saw that 500mm was the maximum allowed fork length. (axle-bottom of head tube)

The Lefty 120mm has 490mm fork length, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone try that yet? How much does it change the head angle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just put the RCL 140 on my Scalpel and took it for a ride. Axle to crown is 515mm. Handling is a little slower (not by much) than the 110SL but a 1/2 hr in I had a feel for it The bump response was much improved. Will report back after some more saddle time with some pictures.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.