Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at possibly purchasing a used scalpel as this yrs race bike but had a question about top tube length

I usually ride a size large in most bikes, 6 foot tall, 32-33 in inseam. I currently ride a HT with a TT of about 23 inch's. Anyway in looking at the scalpel geometry and from sitting on a few the large seems a bit bigger than most larges in other bikes? those with experience in this are your riding a medium in this bike?

·
Registered
363 Posts
murphy1 said:
Looking at possibly purchasing a used scalpel as this yrs race bike but had a question about top tube length

I usually ride a size large in most bikes, 6 foot tall, 32-33 in inseam. I currently ride a HT with a TT of about 23 inch's. Anyway in looking at the scalpel geometry and from sitting on a few the large seems a bit bigger than most larges in other bikes? those with experience in this are your riding a medium in this bike?
I am the same has you, 6 foot tall and I ride a medium Scalpel 09. The large (I think) is too big for me.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
XgreygOOse said:
I am the same has you, 6 foot tall and I ride a medium Scalpel 09. The large (I think) is too big for me.
i just looked at your bike photos and it seems to me you gotta lot of zero offset seat post showing at 6' tall it seems a 19" (L) frame woulda been a better choice.

however i prefer a more stretched out flat back position on the bike so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
363 Posts
HAL 9000 said:
i just looked at your bike photos and it seems to me you gotta lot of zero offset seat post showing at 6' tall it seems a 19" (L) frame woulda been a better choice.

however i prefer a more stretched out flat back position on the bike so your mileage may vary.
I tried a (L) frame Scalpel for about a month and it just didn't feel right. I felt too long for me. I know some people that are 5' 11" and 6' tall and use a (M) frame.
I guess for me I must have short legs and arms:D or maybe I have a lazy back.
Anyway back to what murphy1 asked. You should (if possible) ride the Scalpel (L) frame for awhile and see how it feels.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm ok. Thanks for your help. Ive been on a large only tooling around in a parking lot and while its not huge there is something there that makes me think its too long. I dont want the medium though to be to cramped. The bike seems like a kick ass race bike from what everyone says. Maybe I just need more time on the bike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.