Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I demo'd a Scalpel last month. It was a medium size and definitely too big. One thing that really stood out was the long wheelbase. I checked out the geometry on the small size and the wheelbase is only an inch shorter. Has anyone had any issues with this when riding tight singletrack? The women's model has an extra small size but the parts spec is not what I'm looking for.

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Scalpels are long bikes, meant for stretched out position for climbing, but with the excellent lateral stiffness and the stiffness of the Lefty I never noticed any sluggishness through singletrack.
The Scalpel feminine in Petite runs 1.2 inches shorter in front center than the small so you might consider that if you are under 5'6" and have a short torso (like many women do)

Kevin

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I thought my boring post would go unanswered. I am 5'4" with the typical short torso.

JD73- what kind of riding does your wife do if you don't mind me asking. I plan to do mostly shorter XC races and maybe a couple 24 hr's. I'll also use it for adventure racing. I live in the PNW and we have lots of good singletrack here. How does she like the fit of the bike- any complaints or issues? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The riding we do around here is usually on tight single track with a lot of short ups and downs. She does some shorter races but actually hasn't had a chance to use the Scalpel much yet since it's the off season and it's snowy out. At your height I think you'd find a petite too compact. I'd really think a small would fit you well. You'll love the scalpel as it's a very fast feeling bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.