Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoping someone has dealt with this, before I pull my squeak free/solid BB.

I’ve converted my 2019 Scalpel Si to AXS and in doing so yanked out the rear derailleur cable housing. This seems to have somehow loosened a clamp or something as now the brake line clicks away inside the frame. I have no problems taking the BB out and seeing what is going on, maybe stuff some foam or something in there, but before doing so figured I’d ask if anyone has done the same and if so what they did.

Thanks
D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would try either pushing more of the brake housing into the frame so its snugged up a bit or pulling it taught. I added a dropper post to mine and when I initially fished the new housing through the frame (a pain) when I removed the port plastic piece and reinstalled it, I pulled the housing slightly taught, and it started to bang around. I then shoved about 2-3 inches back in and it forced the housing along the edges of the frame and stopped the rattling. Its easy enough to mess with before pulling your BB.

Pic for reference:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try either pushing more of the brake housing into the frame so its snugged up a bit or pulling it taught. I added a dropper post to mine and when I initially fished the new housing through the frame (a pain) when I removed the port plastic piece and reinstalled it, I pulled the housing slightly taught, and it started to bang around. I then shoved about 2-3 inches back in and it forced the housing along the edges of the frame and stopped the rattling. Its easy enough to mess with before pulling your BB.

Pic for reference: View attachment 1946362
Good thinking, I've been trying to pull it taut, but pushing more in while being so stiff might force it against the inner wall, will try that. I asked the mechanic at my LBS and he suggested dropping the fork and maybe putting some foam down from that end instead of the BB. WIll try pushing the cable in first. Thanks! :)(y)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update to close this off, my ride this evening.. rattle rattle Rattle rattle.. then remembers to push the brake cable in, got about 1.5” or so and no more rattle! the sweet sound of silence!! Thanks Kevine!

D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome! I love my Scalpel and jealous you went wireless…. I am about to pull the trigger on the GX AXS kit, but in the meantime enjoy the silence!
I'm thinking about the GX AXS kit for my other bike, can't beat the price in comparison to the XO AXS kit (which is what is on the Scalpel), especially up here in Canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.