Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carbon scalpel...great bike but the opi stem is kind of annoying when trying to service the headset. The use of the bottom bracket style cup wrench is a pain when something like a standard stem is so simple and effective. Also frustrating when someone over tightened it and you strip it trying to loosen it up.

Anyone know if a conversation kit is available? (If I can get the dam thing off)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Did you loosen the Lefty clamp bolts before trying to loosen the steerer tube from the stem? If not that is how the steerer tube got stripped. It really is not that hard to tear apart. You need the bottom bracket wrench, 5mm allen for the Lefty clamp bolts, and either get the Ernie Steerer tube install tool or use something that you can unseat the stem from the top bearing.and a rubber mallet. I can have mine tore apart on my carbon Flash in a few minutes. Really nothing to service on the head set other then replace the sealed bearings with new ones if they are that bad. Here is a link to the Ernie tool: Cannondale Ernie Lefty Steerer Tube Install Tool - KT020/ - CannondaleExperts.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts