Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
MirFlash said:
I wouldn't remove it.

Regluiing closer could be a possibility but removing, no.
But then repositioning won't be easy as it will be too large to fit closer, will have to find alternative.
I believe bonding will be a challenge, too. AL is not the easiest material to bond to others. Two of my three Scalpel deaths were bonding failures.

My biggest concern would be that you'll likely be making the rear 'triangle' weaker while at the same time increasing the stresses on it by installing a larger wheel.

If you're OK with the risk to your frame, and potentially your body, I think it'll be an interesting experiment. It may reveal some of the reasons C'dale hasn't released a 29er Scalpel yet.

Good luck!

-Pete

·
Registered
176 Posts
Pedalphile said:
I believe bonding will be a challenge, too. AL is not the easiest material to bond to others. Two of my three Scalpel deaths were bonding failures.

My biggest concern would be that you'll likely be making the rear 'triangle' weaker while at the same time increasing the stresses on it by installing a larger wheel.

If you're OK with the risk to your frame, and potentially your body, I think it'll be an interesting experiment. It may reveal some of the reasons C'dale hasn't released a 29er Scalpel yet.

Good luck!

-Pete
I agree with this. Why jeopardize the integrity of the frame? The two scalpels I killed were due to those chain stays cracking. While my two frames were the older frames (2004 & 2006) I would imagine that piece was installed to possibly remedy that very issue (pure speculation on my part). But I totally agree with the above statement about making the rear triangle weaker. Why not just run it as a 69er?

Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pedalphile said:
I ... It may reveal some of the reasons C'dale hasn't released a 29er Scalpel yet...
End of 2011 and hence '12 vintage, we will see a 29-er Scalpel, it is an evidence that there are just denying the inevitable.

Even the denying isn't as strong as last year :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.