Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
taTegOi
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

2 weeks age i have got my Scalpel, and now after some rides i dismounted the rear wheel and after cleaning I put it back again.
Now the wheel isn�t axial between the seat stays, the distance on the right side (if you are looking from behind) is little bit smaller than at the left one. It is only a small difference, but you can see.
Is this normal??? I didn�t have a closer look at distance "tire-seatstays" before. So I don�t know if this difference has existed before removing the wheel.

thanx for your replies

ribisl

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
That's nothing to worry about, and is quite normal. It's rare to see a wheel perfectly centered between the stays or fork, as nothing in the bike world (or the world in general) is ever perfect. Frame/dropout alignment slightly off, wheel dish not quite perfect = non-centered wheel. As long as shifting is still good and you're not getting brake rub, you're OK. This is of course assuming that you checked that your axle was properly seated in your dropouts.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Also, that Hutchinson Spider is a pretty big tire for the Scalpel's rear stay. It will really exagerate any discrepancies.

Is that the tubeless 2.1 or the 2.0 clincher version of the Spider? If it's the 2.1 tubeless version, I thought the fit would be even tighter based on some things I've read.

·
taTegOi
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it´s the spider tubeless 2.1, and it is really a little bit big for the Scalpel, but a got the bike with this tires and the traction on rooty and rocky single trails is good.
The distance Tire - chain stays is only about 5 mm.
I don´t like the style of the tire and the durability is really a mess!!! I had this tire(also the UST version) on my old bike and after 500km the rear tire had 3 holes. I think the Spider 2.1 is width as an 2.3 tire from another company (e.g. Conti).
I´m searching for another tire, but which one? I used a Conti Explorer UST on my other bike for 2200km and i like it but after these kms the profile of the rear tire was away and they haven´t that traction that the spiders have.
Maybe i will take Maxxis Ignitor UST.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the 2.1 Spider on the front of my Scalpel and have been very happy with it. I haven't had it long enough to comment on durability though. I'm running a Micheling Wildgripper Comp S 1.95 in the back. This combo seems to be working really well for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.