Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a 2005 Scalpel (most likely a matte black 2000) and have read on C'dale's site about how important it is to protect the chainstays on them. I know C'dale puts a protector on them, but I want to add some safety margin. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use? I prefer non-descript ones -- the plainer, the better.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Inner tube with talcum powder underneath zip tied to the stays or

and my favourite

Lizard skins over the stays. They're washable and roll if the chain slaps the stays.
Work very well and are prefered.

Inner tubes can tear if the chain slpas them hard and often enough

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yo' Quiero...

Here, lizard, lizard...yo' quiero 'lizard skin'

That piece of clear adhesive tape on my Scalpel 900, was a JoKE!!! I mean, come on! Seriously, was Cannondale thinking, as much as a chain normally slaps around on a chain stay - a piece of clear tape would protect it! That is sooo cheezey!

I recall on one bike ride, some 25 miles away from home and any bike shop - I forgot my lizard skin. But thanks to my allergies, I had a handkerchief with me, and wrapped it around the chain stay - double knotted it. It held for my usual 30 mile ride. And saved my carbon fiber chain stay from getting scrattched! Saved the ride!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.