Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Funk LaRuta

MitchJi said:
Hi,

Would someone please post a list of short travel 29er softtails?

Thanks!
The Funk LaRuta 29er is a great titanium full-suspension / soft-tail option utilizing an RP23 shock. They're also getting ready to release a Carbon version of the LaRuta. An XL titanium frame weighs 4.5 lbs, and you can utilize a Lefty Fork if desired. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

I found one more:

DEAN Duke Softail
DEAN Duke Softail - A race ready machine at just 3 lbs. 14oz. - delivers an est. 2.0" of pivotless travel. Available as 26er, 650b or 29er.
Probably won't help anyone but they have a X Large on special now:
DEAN Duke 29r - size X.Large - 1.5" of pivot less travel - Fox RP23 rear shock - crafted with U.S. 3.2.5 titanium - I/S disc. specific - new - call for details 303.530.3091

Reg. = $ 2,850.00 - Sale = $ 1,850.00
Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
TunicaTrails said:
It was a well engineered and innovative motorcycle.

I may be reading too much into a mere picture, but the engineers are not to blame for the lack of success of the Cannondale motorsports division. Instead, one should be placing the blame fully on the financial and marketing departments.

·
likes to ride bikes
893 Posts
You are 101% correct (OK well an engineer wouldn't appreciate that compliment). I truly agree though.

I believe the engineers at Cannondale are capable of producing marvelous innovations, we have plenty of evidence of that. 'Dale will never live down their motorsports blunder though, and well they shouldn't.

I don't believe for one second that they can't make a Scalpel 29er that would turn the racing world upside down. Like many of you, I've worked for corporations, we know there's higher ups that get in the way of good things happening, despite hard working and intelligent employee's best efforts.

juan_speeder said:

I may be reading too much into a mere picture, but the engineers are not to blame for the lack of success of the Cannondale motorsports division. Instead, one should be placing the blame fully on the financial and marketing departments.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can also add that Cannondale was out in Arizona (somo) testing a new 29er full suspension. Was told sub 5lb frame w/shock and hoping to be available for order in september if all goes well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks YT! Finally some real information on the Cannondale 29er FS development. That weight sounds very realistic. The Spec S-Works Epic 29er frame w/shock is about 5.2 lbs in a medium. The complete bike in M is about 21.3 lbs. That means that if Cannondale's frame is .3 lbs less than the Spec and the Lefty is .5 lbs less, it would weigh about 20.5 lbs. To hit that weight they would have to match the Spec Roval carbon wheel weight of 1,440 gm.
I've seen some videos of SoMo and it looks pretty rocky/rough, but fun and fast. It doesn't sound like the kind of terrain to test a short travel XC bike on. Maybe this bike will be more Trail/AM oriented. What do you think?

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's true, but YT said under 5 lbs. Hopefully it's closer to low 4s with shock. The Santa Cruz Blur carbon is 4.3 lbs and it's got the weight of VPP links, pivots, and bearings. You would think that with a single pivot they could get it close to 4 lbs.
I would love to see this bike with Dave Weagle's split pivot SP rear end and 142/12 hub. There are still three patent licensees that haven't been named yet. Maybe Cannondale is one of them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Remember, the Epic is 5.2lbs. with the brain and ZERO bob. The Scalpel will bob slightly, even with an RP23 fully 'locked out'. I had one in 2005 and got rid of it for that reason. The additional weight is definitely worth the efficiency.

·
Registered
791 Posts
erichwic said:
Remember, the Epic is 5.2lbs. with the brain and ZERO bob. The Scalpel will bob slightly, even with an RP23 fully 'locked out'. I had one in 2005 and got rid of it for that reason. The additional weight is definitely worth the efficiency.
New Monarch RT3 has NO BOB when locked, my Scalpel Ultimate feels like a hardtail...sometimes, though, a little suspension movement is more efficient, unless you're riding your MTB on the road....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
juan_speeder said:

Well engineered and innovative?
It handled like a barge.
It sounded like a washing machine full of bowling balls....when it ran.
It shifted like a 1942 International Harvester.
Working on it....and you had to work on it a lot...was a night mare.
It broke down more than Britney Spears on crack.
There's innovative...and there's stupid...whole lotta plain stupid on those bikes.
The financial and marketing depts worked hard to make folks believe they were good bikes......
Bottom line....it was one of the worst motorcycles ever conceived.
The only good thing about them is you got a great work out pushing the dead bike off the track.
But I do like their bicycles.....too bad they didn't walk away from the moto market sooner. I can't wait to see the new Scapel 29 in person

81 - 100 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.