Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I have a 2008 Scalpel Large. I am 6'1 and weigh in at 182. I read the manual and it says you need about 8 to 10 mm of sag. I set it to this much sag and find the rear still pretty loose. I am running aroung 100lbs right now. I also am running the dampning almost in the loosest setting. If i run too much dampning It dosent sound too good running over roots and rocks at high speeds. This is with no pro pedal.

I live in miami so the terrain in pretty flat. We have some very techinical trails with some modest climes and desents. I find that if I ride with out pro pedal off my bike bobs like crazy. I think for the trail conditions here it is propobaly better to have the pro pedal on all of the time.

How much pressure are you guys running at? What are you setting your dampning too? Are you using pro pedal most of the time?

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
100 PSI is too low for a RP23

100 psi is a pressure that you can use with a DT Carbon to have a hard rear .

with Fox , is better 150 psi for me... maybe you not have the same sag , you can have less sag... but i prefer to have a better terrain response that a correct sag

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
ah DT is lighter. and has lockout on or off , only rebound tuning.

Fox RP23 has more setup options , more little steps to try

Fox RPL has a wonderful lockout

for me ... better is to try all types ....

i started with 130 psi with my DT ( used to do with older scalpel and its fox RP3 )

i did many rides ...finally i reached MY ( my personal ) preferred pressure : 60 psi

DT has a large air chamber , needs very low pressure

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I understand it the 2008 and 2009 scalpels use less air in the rear shock than a traditional bike with lower pivots. In the case of the Scalpel the lower carbon stays act kind of like leaf springs. It takes force to bend them so the shock needs less air to hold you up. I dont know if this was the same for Scalpels pre 2008. In the manual it talkes about pressures in the 60psi range. I am at about 100psi right now and still too low. Im going to try 110 next time.

I am not sure that there is much diffrence in spring pressure from the dt to the RP23.

Eliflap, have you tried a RP23 on a 08 or 09 Scalpel?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I rode at Amelia today with 130psi and the propedal on 2 and it seemed much better. I dident bob as much.

Are you guys running about 75% of your body weight on the lefty? I have a Carbon SL and I've been running at around 135psi. Im going to try 130, its a little stiff at 75% for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My knife is set up at 145 PSI in the Fox Float RP. I am at 185 lbs. with my full winter gear and Camelbak. You seem to get a better ride tune by weighing yourself in full gear and then setting up your suspension accordingly. Good Luck...

Enjoy Y'all

Moe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.