Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having this problem?

When I try spinning the lower bearings on my Scalpels frog they roll kind of rough. The 2 upper bearings are supper smooth. I had this problem with the original bearings that came with the bike and also with aftermarket ceramic ones I tried to see if it would make a difference.
These bearings don’t really get to spin; maybe all the force of the suspension repeatedly on the same spot is damaging them?????? :madman:

·
Registered
137 Posts
i had the same issue. my solution was to press out the bearings and lightly sand the inside of the frog where the bearing sits. This made them slip in easily w/o any play and allowed the bearings to roll more freely

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had the same problem with the OE Bearings, Ceramic Bearings and Japanese Bearings from a Local Bearing Supplier.

I dont think sanding out the frog is a good solution. You are just allowing for the brearing to move freely like if the bearing was a bushing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i only sanded a tiny amount out. the outer shell of the cartridge bearing was not spinning, it just wasnt being compressed to the point that the bearings began to bind.

I chose to do this because the bearings felt fine outside the frog, so i decided that the frog had something to do with it. The bearings are silky smooth now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.