Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current issue of german "BIKE" magazine presents exclusive inside and design details of the forecoming Scott Scale for 2011. They showed a 26er and a 29er version. One of their editors already took a testride on the 29er and was blown away.

26er frame: 899 gr. Size M
29er frame: 950 gr. Size M

Also in this issue a test of the Niner Air Carbon Size L - very good test results, but the frame Size L is at 1450 gr., that is 50% more than the Scale 2011! :-O

Does anybody know, when the Scale Carbon 29er will be available?

Some pics of the 26er:
http://www.lightbike-magazine.es/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=148:scott-899-2011-fotos-exclusivas&Itemid=25

· Registered
986 Posts
redbyte said:
Current issue of german "BIKE" magazine presents exclusive inside and design details of the forecoming Scott Scale for 2011. They showed a 26er and a 29er version. One of their editors already took a testride on the 29er and was blown away.

26er frame: 899 gr. Size M
29er frame: 950 gr. Size M

Also in this issue a test of the Niner Air Carbon Size L - very good test results, but the frame Size L is at 1450 gr., that is 50% more than the Scale 2011! :-O

Does anybody know, when the Scale Carbon 29er will be available?

Some pics of the 26er:
http://www.lightbike-magazine.es/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=148:scott-899-2011-fotos-exclusivas&Itemid=25
2 obvious details to consider should be
- Scott XL is typically smaller than the niner L, and you are comparing a scott M weight with a niner real life L weight. i am convinced that scott XL REAL weight vs. niner L real weight will be at least 250g closer to each other (XL vs. M scott frame should be roughly 200g heavier)
- The niner has the aluminium crankset inlets that allow you to run any crank standard incl. excentric bottom bracker, this should make easily 100g (i LOVE to accept for this feature)

only after these 2 details the difference shrinks to about 100-150.

· Registered
29 Posts
on the 'real weight' discussion.

I took delivery of my Stumpy Sworks 29er frame on the weekend.
Its an XL.
I weighed it only after the BB cups were put in and the bearings in headset, with seatclamp in place. 1460grm.
Pretty good for a 21"
I have photos to prove - just not with me right now.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Antsonline:
pretty close - see pic
it's a 21" weighted by myself with BB Cups and w/o headset bearings - scale shows 1381 gr.

@hellocook
you really like to have this test in german language? ;-)

for what it's worth:
2011 scale will have the BB30 bearings direct pressfit into carbon frame, no aluminium shell needed. Let's add max. 100 gr. for the bigger size Air Carbon, then you are at 1050 vs. 1450 gr.

Attachments

· Registered
36 Posts
The frame is quaranteed to weigh 949, regardless size.

including disc mount and derailleurhanger, not seat collar.

(is what bike radar wrote about it)

How tall is Scotts xl? 20, 21, 22?

i own a Niner EMD xl and it s pretty small compared to my mamasita

· Registered
528 Posts
My Scale question is with regards to the lower modulous carbon used on the 'Pro' build.

The 'Pro' apparently uses a lower modulous HMF (as opposed to HMX) fibres and is supposedly 100+ gr heavier.

Personally, I don't care about the weight, but how much stiffness does one loose on a HMF/Pro Scale versus HMX/RC Scale?

· bike tester
1,295 Posts
goforbroke said:
Snap Crackle Pop :devil:
I am very impressed with the carbon design and engineering by scott. if i would trust any maker to pull off such a light frame with little risks it would be them.

Today i was on a group ride with a friend riding a 2009 Scale 26". i was on a 29er fully. he had no problem doing all the sections i did, although with more pedal strikes and such. I was extremely impressed because the trail was so steep and rocky i would have never thought a carbon frame would have escaped intact.

· Registered
596 Posts
Super Light Scott

I am not impressed. I have an S-works stumpy HT that I have seen weighed at 1150 grams w/out bearings. It rides great but I get the feeling that I could break it at any moment (and I weigh 145 lb.). Take 200 grams off that... No thanks.
I am going the other way- getting a Ti hardtail that will likely weigh 1500 grams.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.