Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I currently ride a Marin Palisades Trail 29er with big 2.3 Exiwolf tires and love the bike. I feel after testing and owning a few 29ers this is by far the smoothest riding but not fastest 29er on the market. I went to Sun and Ski last week and Test rode the Scott Scale 29er, wow! Fast, Fast Fast. While test riding in parking lot I noticed a construction area so I rode over there and went over a small jump and some rugged terrain, this bike is both smooth and fast and steers quicker than any 29er I've ever rode. The manager was waiting for me in the Parking lot wondering If I took off with the bike. :nono:

I then test rode a scale 50 HT 26" and loved its lively fast handling, makes my 29er )Marin feel like a big clunky bike with heavy heavy wheels. I bought the Scale 50 as I wanted a fast hardtail with lively handling characteristics, it was on clearance and I barely had enough to pay for it. Nice change of pace (play bike to own in comparison to my Marin 29er).

Bottomline, I can't stop thinking about that Scott 29er, may be the best bike I ever rode, ever...it's about as light as the Scale 50 I bought, it's wheel set and specs are superb! Graphics are awesome! Now I am at the point that If I buy one I will need to sell my Marin, probably for a huge loss. If I were a betting man I'd say that by February I will be riding two Scotts Scales the 29er and 50. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just sold My Marin 29er and bought the Scale 29er. I rode it for 6 hours this weekend and love it. I put an Origin 8 stem on it raising the bars just over an inch, otherwise it is stock. This bike isn't just fast but with the stem it is comfortable for those epic all day trail rides. I am amazed how light the stock wheelset feels and the Racing Ralphs are the lightest fastest tires I've ridden but seem to provide confident traction in wet and dry conditions. Best deal I've seen on a bike in a long time. I only hope the Racing Ralphs hold up to the Stans conversion, so far so good!

·
boba fett on a bike
405 Posts
Congrats on the sale and new purchase. I'm still thinking about buying one myself. I'm kind of waiting for the weather to warm up enough for a good test ride on one first.

I'd like to compare it more to the new Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp and X-Cal or Paragon. Has anyone tested all of those as well in their decision to go with the Scale 29er?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bounty Hunter said:
Congrats on the sale and new purchase. I'm still thinking about buying one myself. I'm kind of waiting for the weather to warm up enough for a good test ride on one first.

I'd like to compare it more to the new Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp and X-Cal or Paragon. Has anyone tested all of those as well in their decision to go with the Scale 29er?
Demo bikes are hard to come by here in CT. I've researched a bunch of 29er hardtails in this range and I'd suggest you take a look at the Redline D660 too. It comes as a 1x9 but has good parts and a good reputation. I feel like the Spec and Fisher don't offer great value for the money, at least near their list prices.

If you're willing to take a chance with mail order the best value out there looks to be a Sette Razzo complete. Parts are better than what you'll get on the big brand bikes and the frame is really light - all for about $1200.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ride Report, I just finished a 4.5 hour fast riding trail ride Sunday. Wow! Usually after three hours I am getting tired and a little achy in places...not today. I was fresher after 4.5 hours than 3 thanks to the Scale 29er, its the most efficient bike I ever rode as well as fast. Truly amazing what little effort it takes to keep its speed in the big ring. I was even climbing some small hills in big ring that I normally would have to go up in middle ring or small. I am convinced this is the best bike per dollar out there. On a scale mine weighs exactly 26 pounds after stans conversion, not bad!;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
at 6'3" I think I may fit the large. I have a Large Rig (eff TT 24.7) and the Eff TT of the large is 24.4, 25 for the XL. I also ride an XL MKIII with a TT of 24.5. I figure worst case scenario, get a setback post and longe stem, and Im golden.

Generally, the XLs are too big for me on Giants, Specs', Treks, etc.

I dont likes too big of a boat.... now to find some locally to try...

·
Registered
326 Posts
i think most people have a different feel for what they like. the scale in large is a good fit for me, butt i also ride a 19.5 trek 69er that i also like i like my bikes to have that athletic feel and not so truck like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How are the brakes on the Scale 29er? Do any of the components feel lacking? I'm trying to figure out how they got the price so much lower than comparable 29ers from the likes of Specialized, Gary Fisher, and Giant.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.