Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally saw my first SC32 on a bike (GF Cake). Maybe it wasn't a 100% set-up right but man it was the flexiest fork I've seen in the last 5 years.

This was just using the place wheel between legs and turn HB test. Just soft and flexy - it appeared as though I could deflect it 10-15d with little effort. Unnerving.

I hope this was just a random occurence. My old Judy SL was stiffer than this thing. This is particularly shocking given the stiffness I've witnessed in the DUC32s.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was thinking of a DUC for my 29er. Somebody suggested the SC...no way, not for me.

Reminds me of the old Shiver SC...only lighter. Given that it is the same weight (well, 0.02# lighter) as the DUC I don't see why you'd choose this fork.

Sean

·
2,548 Posts
Soupboy said:
Finally saw my first SC32 on a bike (GF Cake). Maybe it wasn't a 100% set-up right but man it was the flexiest fork I've seen in the last 5 years.

This was just using the place wheel between legs and turn HB test. Just soft and flexy - it appeared as though I could deflect it 10-15d with little effort. Unnerving.

I hope this was just a random occurence. My old Judy SL was stiffer than this thing. This is particularly shocking given the stiffness I've witnessed in the DUC32s.

Has anyone else noticed this? Was thinking of a DUC for my 29er. Somebody suggested the SC...no way, not for me.

Reminds me of the old Shiver SC...only lighter. Given that it is the same weight (well, 0.02# lighter) as the DUC I don't see why you'd choose this fork.

Sean
Could a portion of it have been wheel flex ??? My front wheel flexes more than my fork does, especially doing that test ;)

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
A British mountain bike magazine had a surprsing test

Soupboy said:

Sean
The said the DUC is a flexy fork. I was surprised by that but inverted forks are prone to flex. The compression stroke is plush! As plush a fork as I have ever ridden; however, the compression dampening is somewhat rudimenatry compared to some of the cool new dampeners. Nonetheless, I think Maverick forks probably eat up as much of the trail as any fork out there.

Jaybo

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
i dont like to be the one to state the obvious, but its a super light fork. this translates into lighter, thinner walls which causes flex. ever ride the sid? its light like the maverick but also flexy.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
It doesn't have much to do with it being lightweight.

It has everything to do with it being a single crown inverted fork.

Inverted forks are less stiff tortionally, the reason they work is that they usually use a dual crown setup, and that upper crown keeps it from twisting so much, the SC32 obviously doesn't have this benefit. The other way that the DUC32 remains so stiff is the huge 50mm uppers that are welded to the lower crown. Again, the SC32 has none of these features. You are better off with a traditional fork if you are looking for a stiff and strong chassi. With forks like the Float 130, Talas, Marz AMSL, Marathon, Manitou Minute, and others, there is no reason to choose a fork that has a huge disadvantage in terms of chassi.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow Up

1. Yep, made note to discern between wheel flex and the fork legs twisting. Wheel flex was nominal, it was definitely the legs.
2. SC inverted forks are flexy. I was just surprised how much so after not seeing one for a while. Reading Mav's site you'd think this was the greatest thing since whatever...
3. Agreed, the DUC is stiff(er) because it is a DC fork. I really like the smoothness and torsional stiffness of a friend's DUC.

I don't know. I just find this fork to be scary. Time for another Reba Race or WB thru-axle.

Sean

·
Gentleman Loser
427 Posts
Inverted forks get stiffer as they are compressed.

Also, AFAIK, fore-aft flex is more important to ride quality.

Having said that, I wouldn't ride any inverted single crown. And, I think the DUC32 is terrific.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.