Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Santa Cruz Tallboy still a relevant bike with the surge of competing 29ers? Is the geometry and handling still competitive?

I am thinking carbon Tallboy versus other carbon offerings, and aluminum Tallboy versus other aluminum offerings.

It seems that a year or two ago the Tallboy was mentioned in every single thread, but now the references seem fewer and farther between.

What do you think?

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
If it suits your needs it is relevant.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I would say it's one of the better short travel 29er's. Great for XC but definately not the best AM bike today. I guess it depends on where you ride.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Is the Santa Cruz Tallboy still a relevant bike with the surge of competing 29ers? Is the geometry and handling still competitive?

I am thinking carbon Tallboy versus other carbon offerings, and aluminum Tallboy versus other aluminum offerings.

It seems that a year or two ago the Tallboy was mentioned in every single thread, but now the references seem fewer and farther between.

What do you think?
I think it doesn't get mentioned as often because it's a dead horse. Yes the Tallboy is still a competitive bike but it hasn't changed except for minor tweaks since it's introduction so nothing really new to say about it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I don't know about "one the best AM bikes" but I would say it's still one of the best raceable trail bikes out there.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Still relevant, the difference is, it isn't the bike out there anymore. Still a very capable bike and some folks absolutely love it. The landscape has changed and there are many bikes that can compete with it and some that are arguably better. Now it is more of a question of; is it the bike for you?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same question. I've ridden my fair share of 29er's. I've most recently been in love with the Specialized Stumpy FSR 29er. I've had the one with a brain and an EVO (both 2012). I've also ridden the Spec Camber Pro 29'er. I live in Bellingham, WA and my normal ride is on Galbraith which starts with a decent climb up and a fast flowy/ somewhat techy downhill.

That said, I was a little concerned with the TBc as it hasn't changed in many years and a lot of other companies have really improved and changed their bikes.

Just a couple weeks ago, I bought a TBc. It's an early 2012 so it still has a 135rear ( I run a 135x10 thru axle) and I absolutely LOVE the bike. I run it with a 120mm front fork. I think it has the perfect balance of relaxed and aggressive. I had a Talas to run on the front (95-120) but didn't even put it on as it works great with the Float on the front at 120mm.

I honestly am disappointed that I didnt get this bike sooner. It's been out for years... and even today, it's one of the best bikes I've ridden. I do see where the Stumpy with a F29 34 front at 140mm ate through chudder better, but I find the TBc more agile and more like a race car than a off-roading truck...

There will always be another bike... but for now, I'm happy with this one.

When buying this bike, I also considered the Pivot 429 (al), Giant Trance 29, Keeping the Stumpy Evo I just got, Superfly 100 Carbon, and Camber. I am very glad I chose the TBc. it's mighty sexy!! :)

I test rode all of the bikes above besides the Superfly but ended up buying the TBc without testriding it (couldn't find one locally) and it was worth the risk...

So in one word... Yes, it is still relevant... :)

And the fact that I can build it with a Dropper and pedals at 25.8lbs doesn't hurt either... :)

photo-5.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
For XC, trail riding, all day epics, racing, and super fast mile munching, the Tallboy is definitely one of the best bikes. Its so capable and balanced that a lot of people race super D's and enduros on them. Definitely a recommended bike. For even more aggro riding, the Tallboy LT or LTc are perfect. Not many bikes score a full 5 out of 5 mark by bike mags and sites such as Bikeradar and What Mountain Bike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of insightful comments and information. I did go with a Tallboy in aluminum because that is how much money I had.

I hope that feel the same as you Iqbal624 even though my bike will most likely weigh closer to 29 lbs.

·
Dickhouse
299 Posts
Josh Tostado, winner of Breckenridge 100 7 years in a row, told me he was thinking about going with a Tallboy next year (currently rides Blur XC). So, i'd say its a pretty capable XC machine.

Tallboy LT is a different bike completely.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Josh Tostado, winner of Breckenridge 100 7 years in a row, told me he was thinking about going with a Tallboy next year (currently rides Blur XC). So, i'd say its a pretty capable XC machine.

Tallboy LT is a different bike completely.
Now that's cool. Really cool in fact. Could he still win on an aluminum Tallboy?

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
still one of the best 100mm 29ers out there. its just no longer new and flashy so it doesn't get mentioned as much anymore. i think how long it has been around with realtivly few tweaks speaks to how good it is.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Even though I sold mine for the Jet 9 RDO, I would say I personally loved the Tallboy. It looks good, its light, its fast and very capable. I wouldn't say it was all mountain though. Having spent time on the Tallboy LTc I would say that was more of an all mountain bike in 29er form. After the Jet 9 RDO, I will be going with the Tallboy LTc, just waiting for SC to give us some new paint options for carbon. The LTC just climbed so impressively, I couldn't believe it and it fit so perfect! On the serious rough stuff it eats up anything in its path, the Fox 34 is really impressive, and the LTc has lots of rear travel, even more than its competitors that are in or soon to come out in that category. Now, I say that but Niner carbon RIP is hitting shops this month and will be the new one on my radar to test and see how it stacks up against the Tallboy Ltc.

I'm sure we'll be seeing all kinds of threads stacking and comparing the LTC verse the Niner Carbon Rip 9 RDO. Trust me, they're coming and I look forward to them.

I will agree since its been around for a few years already the newer bikes have been getting the press because they are newer, doesn't mean the Tallboy isn't relevant because it is. I would say probably even more relevant being that it is older tried and true and customers love it even with newer offerings. That should say something. SC does need to update it a bit but I'm sure they are working on that. The newer bikes do other things very well too. The question is, is it relevant to you that you will buy one? I think you'll love the bike. I did. Now I'll love my RDO...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm personally hoping that at some point Santa Cruz will do a trail version of the Tallboy with a slacker head angle, shorter stays, iscg mounts, stealth dropper routing, and maybe bump up the rear travel a little bit. That would keep it at the forefront and mirror more closely how some people are building theirs up.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I'm personally hoping that at some point Santa Cruz will do a trail version of the Tallboy with a slacker head angle, shorter stays, iscg mounts, stealth dropper routing, and maybe bump up the rear travel a little bit. That would keep it at the forefront and mirror more closely how some people are building theirs up.

Would it even be a Tallboy at that point?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts