Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first foray into FS bikes. I ride cross-country terrain, quite technical with a fair to good amount of climbing. l am strong and big and fat at about 5'11", 210 and don't want to worry about "bob", which is a fear since i like to climb and coming from a hard tail. I've looked at quite a few ...leaning toward to the RM. Any other suggestions....are greatly appreciated. :)

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
marcski5 said:
This is my first foray into FS bikes. I ride cross-country terrain, quite technical with a fair to good amount of climbing. l am strong and big and fat at about 5'11", 210 and don't want to worry about "bob", which is a fear since i like to climb and coming from a hard tail. I've looked at quite a few ...leaning toward to the RM. Any other suggestions....are greatly appreciated. :)
I've been on duallies for a while, I'm 5'11 - 6'0" and right around 200 pounds, I ride in the mid-west so that doesn't give me too many options besides XC and Urban, and I've chosen XC. (Or <shudder> roadie...)

Best advice is to test ride 'em both. Every bike is a balancing act. I had a chance to ride both a Superlight and a Rocky back to back about two months ago. Swapped my Rocky for a Santa Cruz Superlight for a couple of miles. The owner of the SC and I had similar thoughts on builds, but not identical. I.e. Marzocchi Marathon on Mine, Fox on his. Few other differences, but nothing earth shattering.

The Santa Cruz is a nice bike. Even on a short ride I could feel the brake stiffening, and that it had a different geometry than the Rocky. The SC just wasn't the right bike for me. I came away with more respect for my bike. That said, I think the other rider did the same - I think he was happier with his bike.

I like my Rocky. It's pretty darn nimble in the woods, plenty light, and with the air shock can be setup to your taste. Again I encourage you to test ride as much as possible out there. There are a lot of decent bikes out there, and they all have their differences. I've been on several bikes over the past few years, and it's because of some of these small differences why it's taken me several bikes to try and get 'the one'. It might take me another few bikes, but gotta give this one a chance. :)

Depending on your budget - I'd look at Specialized, KHS, Iron Horse, Giant, or at higher dollars - Titus, Ventena, Intense.

Good luck,

JmZ

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've ridden both and I agree with the previous poster. The geometry of the Rocky was better for me than the Santa Cruz. That's not to say that the Santa Cruz Superlight is a bad bike by any means ... it's just a matter of fit. Ride both and see which feels better. Chances are you'll find one of them to be better than the other. For me it was the Rocky Mountain (although it wasn't this model ... I ultimately went with the ETSX) and for my girlfriend it was the Santa Cruz (she has a large Juliana, which is basically a medium Superlight).

In addition to the two bikes you mentioned, I would also throw out two others given your criteria of less peddle bob. First, the Rocky Mountain ETSX series (30, 50, 70 -- same frames, different components). They have adjustable rear travel and I believe all the new ones come with adjustable front travel as well. It's a great all around bike and can be set-up for many types of riding. The unique suspension design has little to no bob when peddling. The other one is the Santa Cruz Blur. As you probably already know, it has VPP (Virtual Pivot Point ... I think) technology. That's a fancy way of saying that it doesn't bob. Again, it will come down to a question of fit. The other thing I'll say is that you might want to check these two frames to make sure they'll stand up to a larger rider. I'm a light-weight at 6' and 155 pounds so I can't speak to how they would work for a larger rider, although I don't imagine there would be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RockyGuy said:
In addition to the two bikes you mentioned, I would also throw out two others given your criteria of less peddle bob. First, the Rocky Mountain ETSX series (30, 50, 70 -- same frames, different components). They have adjustable rear travel and I believe all the new ones come with adjustable front travel as well. It's a great all around bike and can be set-up for many types of riding. The unique suspension design has little to no bob when peddling. The other one is the Santa Cruz Blur. As you probably already know, it has VPP (Virtual Pivot Point ... I think) technology. That's a fancy way of saying that it doesn't bob. Again, it will come down to a question of fit. The other thing I'll say is that you might want to check these two frames to make sure they'll stand up to a larger rider. I'm a light-weight at 6' and 155 pounds so I can't speak to how they would work for a larger rider, although I don't imagine there would be a problem.
Yes the Blur is sweet...but about $1000 more than i want to spend. My first price-point was $1500...which quickly became $1800...and now top, top top dollar is $2000. (the wife won't know about the last 300 or so but its o.k., it won't kill her). I'm off to my local Rocky Dealer later today, so I will hop on both the ETSX and Element. Never the same as riding on trail though. Thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.