Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new hardtail frame and just rode a medium Pivot LES yesterday. I liked it well enough, but thought it was a bit too compliant (potentially) for my liking and felt like the top tube was too long...maybe just a bit too big overall. I am trying to find a small to test ride, but having no luck locally. Would be curious what people think in general about the Pivot LES versus the SC Highball and if anybody has an feedback on the difference in size/geometry of the small LES versus the medium Highball. I would like a bike that descends well, but I don't want to sacrifice much in speed/efficiency...if I want to ride AM trails, then I will ride my FS. Any info would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
15,143 Posts
If you want stiff light carbon the 2013 Superfly Comp is being discounted by 35% as a decent full build. Very limited to almost no compliance- the opposite of the new 9.6-9.8 bike.
Trek Bicycle
But the type of compliance the new bike has is exceptional.
Rocky Mountain has another carbon hardtail with no compliance.

·
1,252 Posts
I'd rather have the two bikes mentioned than a Trek.

Anyway, quick glance at the geo, it seems like with Pivot's slacker geo and longer wheelbase (even comparing the Sm LES to Med HB) would make it more DH-friendly. Also means slower handling, less agile. I personally like a bit more aggressive geo, like the SC, so that's what I would get.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks stremf. That was my general conclusion from looking at the geometry and from my experience riding the medium Pivot. I live in San Francisco, so am trying to see if I can demo the Highball Carbon from their factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.