Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Samsonite Tester
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SC must feel bad for not jumping in the 29 game. There are clear SC clones FS bikes out there doing really well. The Gary Fischer and others have used what appears to be the tried and true Superlight design for 29" wheels and done well with it. Then Intense 29r spider comes along to praise and clamour for a 5.5 29" is high. The RIP 9 is also vpp, and sells like hotcakes.

How does SC drop the ball ? East coast , west coast , Europe the enndurance racers, weekenders all are catching it. SC watches the movement on the sidelines.

How about some hydroformed HTs like the jackel for HTs? Or tried and true camelion for rigid SS?

Hey Rob R , Specialized beat you to the 29 game.:mad:

·
Registered Dietitian
1,994 Posts
Evel Knievel said:
SC must feel bad for not jumping in the 29 game. There are clear SC clones FS bikes out there doing really well. The Gary Fischer and others have used what appears to be the tried and true Superlight design for 29" wheels and done well with it. Then Intense 29r spider comes along to praise and clamour for a 5.5 29" is high. The RIP 9 is also vpp, and sells like hotcakes.

How does SC drop the ball ? East coast , west coast , Europe the enndurance racers, weekenders all are catching it. SC watches the movement on the sidelines.

How about some hydroformed HTs like the jackel for HTs? Or tried and true camelion for rigid SS?

Hey Rob R , Specialized beat you to the 29 game.:mad:
Maybe they just don't give a ****. Like me.

Plenty of other folks to fill the needs of your little niche.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not everyone has an obligation to build a 29er. Sure everone else can hop on the bandwagon, but Santa Cruz is doing their thing. I would actually be dissapointed in SC if they wasted their time and r&d dollars on the gayest fad to hit the mtb world since shimano saint and pink fork lowers.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
norcalbike said:
Not everyone has an obligation to build a 29er. Sure everone else can hop on the bandwagon, but Santa Cruz is doing their thing. I would actually be dissapointed in SC if they wasted their time and r&d dollars on the gayest fad to hit the mtb world since shimano saint and pink fork lowers.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hahah threatened by another three inches? Sounds like promnight....:D

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
Less travel in your shocks? Flexy wheels? Some BS line about being able to "more easily roll over stuff"??? Not to mention killing every "lighter wheelset" argument that's ever been made, too. It's good that Santa Cruz hasn't jumped into the 29er trend.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
LandSpeed said:
Less travel in your shocks? Flexy wheels? Some BS line about being able to "more easily roll over stuff"??? Not to mention killing every "lighter wheelset" argument that's ever been made, too. It's good that Santa Cruz hasn't jumped into the 29er trend.
Yeah because in the XC as well as Single Speed world, 29" wheels have surely failed the test. Many SC folks I know are guilty of just as much, if not more zealotry/Blind Faith as the 29er crowd LOL. Waiting Months and months for a bike that is zapped up in some Taiwanese factory? Wait times like those make most custom builders look like The Flash LOL.

I love my Jackal, I lust after a Nomad after having ridden one..I really Love the Bullit, but some folks act like SC poo doesn't stink LOL.

The benefits of the 29" wheelsize have been proven time and time again at the races...pounding the "flexy wheel" drum went out with the Sox winning the World Series.

The "more easily roll over stuff" deal is true. A perfect example of this princlple is this; As a Landscape mason we're often measuring large parcels of land and we use a measuring wheel...like these...

There are times when I only have the smaller wheel (maybe 5" in diameter) and it is a huge pain in the butt to roll through grassy areas that have ruts etc...When I use the 14" measuring wheel it's a breeze. It doesn't get hung up as easily because the approach angle is much better.

I ride what fits and sometimes the 29" wheel is perfect, sometimes not, but to dismiss it as you have, shows an unwillingness to look at new things. Still running Thumb shifters? ;)

Seriously, if you've ridden a 29er and it didn't suit you, cool. If you haven't and are just making silly statements parroted from the internet, well, bummer for you.

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
tozovr said:
Yeah because in the XC as well as Single Speed world, 29" wheels have surely failed the test. Many SC folks I know are guilty of just as much, if not more zealotry/Blind Faith as the 29er crowd LOL. Waiting Months and months for a bike that is zapped up in some Taiwanese factory? Wait times like those make most custom builders look like The Flash LOL.

I love my Jackal, I lust after a Nomad after having ridden one..I really Love the Bullit, but some folks act like SC poo doesn't stink LOL.

The benefits of the 29" wheelsize have been proven time and time again at the races...pounding the "flexy wheel" drum went out with the Sox winning the World Series.

The "more easily roll over stuff" deal is true. A perfect example of this princlple is this; As a Landscape mason we're often measuring large parcels of land and we use a measuring wheel...like these...

There are times when I only have the smaller wheel (maybe 5" in diameter) and it is a huge pain in the butt to roll through grassy areas that have ruts etc...When I use the 14" measuring wheel it's a breeze. It doesn't get hung up as easily because the approach angle is much better.

I ride what fits and sometimes the 29" wheel is perfect, sometimes not, but to dismiss it as you have, shows an unwillingness to look at new things. Still running Thumb shifters? ;)

Seriously, if you've ridden a 29er and it didn't suit you, cool. If you haven't and are just making silly statements parroted from the internet, well, bummer for you.
Whatever. Less travel, heavy wheels, more wheel flex, not as large of a fork selection, a BS argument about being able to roll over stuff. Yap all you want about 29ers, the truth is there. Why give me sheet about it? If you think about it, a 26'' wheel will more easily roll over things due to it's smaller diameter, since it won't "run into things" as much as "roll over them." In physics/math, I could easily show you that a 29 inch wheel would require more force to go over similar obstacles as a 26" wheelset... and since force=leg power, then a larger wheelset takes more effort... hence, slower speeds.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
LandSpeed said:
Whatever. Less travel, heavy wheels, more wheel flex, not as large of a fork selection, a BS argument about being able to roll over stuff. Yap all you want about 29ers, the truth is there. Why give me sheet about it? If you think about it, a 26'' wheel will more easily roll over things due to it's smaller diameter, since it won't "run into things" as much as "roll over them." In physics/math, I could easily show you that a 29 inch wheel would require more force to go over similar obstacles as a 26" wheelset... and since force=leg power, then a larger wheelset takes more effort... hence, slower speeds.
Have you ridden a 29er?

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
NoahColorado said:
This sounds like the hardtail/full-suspension argument ten years ago....

LandSpeed, your physics aren't quite right or everyone in the ProTour would be riding 650s.
Physics for this argument would prove that a larger diameter wheel takes more force than a smaller diameter wheel to go over obstacles. Think about it: a larger wheel has a flatter surface due to it's size. A flatter surface does not travel over obstacles as well as a more "round" surface, like a 26". In terms of force, this means that a large wheel takes more force to travel up and over the obstacles (represented by bike distance) than a smaller wheel.
The ProTour? You mean road racing, right? That has nothing to do with "rolling over things easier," which is what the 29er crowd is arguing.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
LandSpeed said:
Physics for this argument would prove that a larger diameter wheel takes more force than a smaller diameter wheel to go over obstacles. Think about it: a larger wheel has a flatter surface due to it's size. A flatter surface does not travel over obstacles as well as a more "round" surface, like a 26". In terms of force, this means that a large wheel takes more force to travel up and over the obstacles (represented by bike distance) than a smaller wheel.
The ProTour? You mean road racing, right? That has nothing to do with "rolling over things easier," which is what the 29er crowd is arguing.
But previously you said it would take more force and therefore be slower.

Your argument doesn't take into account the decrease in approach angle vs. a 26" wheel. 29er wheels also don't sink into holes as much as traditional wheels due to the larger diameter. They also provide a more natural fit for very tall riders.

I'm not trying to start a riot, but 29ers do have some advantages in some circumstances. I'll stick with 26 though, I prefer long travel bikes and quick steering. Cheers

·
The Road Warrior
622 Posts
NoahColorado said:
But previously you said it would take more force and therefore be slower.

Your argument doesn't take into account the decrease in approach angle vs. a 26" wheel. 29er wheels also don't sink into holes as much as traditional wheels due to the larger diameter. They also provide a more natural fit for very tall riders.

I'm not trying to start a riot, but 29ers do have some advantages in some circumstances. I'll stick with 26 though, I prefer long travel bikes and quick steering. Cheers
I'm not trying to start a riot, either. But I get the feeling that there's going to be this big clash btw MTB performace junkies over this whole wheel size thing. I can argue in favor of the 26... I like the 26, I will keep riding a 26. Are there even any published "scientific" findings about 29ers? I know that the big companies do R&D, but I haven't seen any of it.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
LandSpeed said:
Hi Stumpy. Yes, I've ridden a 29er, and I didn't see any noticeable improvement in the bike's performance.
In actual dirt, for an extended period of time, or in a parking lot for 10 minutes. Not trying to attack you or anything, but it sounds like someone saying they hate sushi or pate, but never wanting or even trying it. I haven't ridden a 29er, but I really wanna get the Raleigh xxix to try that coupled with a rigid front, not to mention my first ss mtb

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.