Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've been looking to upgrade my ride for a few month. Looking at all options for trail riding from more XC up to 140mm bikes. Right now, I would like to get a 2014 Intense Spider Comp. I'm waiting for the build specs (we don't have many choice for a complete bike) and price for canada. Price should be way up the 6000$ mark for XT build + 15% taxes!!! The retail price for a 2013 was 7000$. So I've been looking for used bike as well to see if I can get something decent for less money. I'm not quite sure to take this route cause I know LBS service and warranty is of great value. I tend to keep my bike on the long term. But here's what I found and would like to get some comment about… Buy the way I'm 6'2"

Santacruz Blur Carbon XC 2013 frame (XL frame)new (maybe a replacement frame), all XTR, Fox Float Kashima 120mm, Enve XC wheels. 3500$
-Seems like a deal to me . I still like riding my 100mm 26" even if I sometime wish for more travel. I little more travel with 7-8 pounds less should be quite an upgrade!!! I've read some great review for trail bike use. It could be a transition bike (3-4 years) before I pull the trigger on the super bike of my dream (I'm not in a position to throw away 8-9000$ this year!!!)

Pivot 429C Large, XTR build, 100mm Float, new DT Spline XR 1501 wheels, Enve Bars. 24 pounds 9 onces
-I get a 29er but less travel than the intense. I know I would upgrade the fork eventually, maybe a 120mm Pike?
-There's some abrasion on the paint near the bottle (from taking the bottle in-out)

I know it's not an all black or white situation. As soon as weather is better, I'll try to demo a Large Spider Comp, also a new 2013 medium advertised at 5500$ and those two used bike…
Any Comments/thought would be appreciated

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ibis is not available were I live. There's some US shop not so far (150miles) but I would have to declare the bike at custom and I'm not sure the guaranty would apply…

·
since 4/10/2009
31,422 Posts
got my wife a used 2010 Blur XC Carbon last summer for $1800 as an XTR build. Hers is a 100mm travel bike, though. Stellar bike, and my wife is thrilled to have a better bike than I have. That got me a lot of brownie points.

For me going forward, it's going to be very difficult for me to justify buying something like that brand new when the used market has such awesome high end stuff for such great prices.

You're talking about bikes ranging from mediums to XL. VERY unlikely that your fit range would be that high. At most, you'll be bouncing between two possible sizes. There are fit calculators at WrenchScience and ColoradoCyclist that you might want to check out. They will help ballpark you so you have an idea what to look for. They won't quite tell you if you're borderline between sizes, though. They will tell you where you should start, and based on the feel from that test ride, you can make some modifications.

In my situation, I ride a medium currently. However, I find that I'm also comfortable on many modern larges with short stems and a more upright fit (AM or "Trail" type geometry - not race geometry). I have rather long arms, which many basic fit assessments done at shops do not take into account. My wife, OTOH, has very short arms. It screws around with her fit, too.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah it make sense to buy used. Same with cars! But being the first to own something is a good feeling and bring some (relative) peace of mind.

I did use the fit guide of competitive cyclist few months ago. Mach 429 has a long top tube so large is probably the good size for me. Santacruz tend to run small so XL would definitively be the right one. For the Intense, I know large is the way to go, but I would love being ok on the medium to save some $$. But it's more about fantasy than reality!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts