Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the cheapest set of bearing pullers/presses for servicing SBG bikes (Sentinel carbon & Smuggler alloy)? I thrashed my bearings this winter. I'm currently having the local shop replace them but it's going to cost at least $120 in labor, plus the cost of the bearings. I figure I've got 2 bikes now that should have similar configuration, so it wouldn't be a bad investment to have a set of pullers/presses that work for both for next season.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My advice is to figure out the bearing sizes from Transition's spec sheet, then hit eBay and poke around. There are a few guys who make fairly inexpensive drifts that are pretty good quality, and you can buy decent press handles from Wheels Manufacturing.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My advice is to figure out the bearing sizes from Transition's spec sheet, then hit eBay and poke around. There are a few guys who make fairly inexpensive drifts that are pretty good quality, and you can buy decent press handles from Wheels Manufacturing.
Thanks. I found this site in the UK that sells complete puller and press kits. They look pretty well made, and price seems reasonable for complete kits. I emailed the owner and he confirmed that the Sentinel kit will work on the Smuggler as well, as they share the same linkage bearings but the Sentinel has an additional set of trunnion bearings.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks. I found this site in the UK that sells complete puller and press kits. They look pretty well made, and price seems reasonable for complete kits. I emailed the owner and he confirmed that the Sentinel kit will work on the Smuggler as well, as they share the same linkage bearings but the Sentinel has an additional set of trunnion bearings.
They have a US based page, as well. If you search the Smuggler thread, I discuss using these for the bike and my experiences with them.

My bearings had corrosion between the outer race and shell the bearing presses into, so removing them took some effort. Once I got the first set out and was able to grease that shell prior to pressing in again, the second time I replaced them was much easier. I don't think Transition used enough grease or antiseize when they pushed them in the first time.

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
1,078 Posts
I asked once from Transition and they confirmed that they use Loctite 641 for mounting bearings.

Regarding the bearing tools: RWC has really well thought out tools for this. Aligning the bearing when pressing it in has been biggest problem with other tools. RWC tools are expensive though.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did my replacement using the Bearing Pro Tools sets. I found there to be a bit of a learning curve (mostly with how to position the piece of frame over my soft jaws vice, what rod to use hammering, and what hammer) but after I got the hang of things I was knocking out bearings in 3 whacks of the hammer. Their drifts are simple, but work well.

I do sort of wish the pullers themselves were labeled rather than just the bags they came in, as I immediately threw those away. I'd like to have a shorter piece of threaded rod for the drifts also, just to speed up the time it takes to get the handles to the point where you're actually pressing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.