Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2013 SB95.. just noticed the other day when I switch the lever on the shock to climb mode, I see no difference in stiffness, than when it's full open. In fact, all the settings, Climb, Trail and Descend all feel like.. Descend. I'm pretty sure when I got the bike, there was a noticeable difference between settings. Anyone else notice this ? Could there be something wrong with the shock.. or is this how it's supposed to work ?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I've got a 2013 SB95.. just noticed the other day when I switch the lever on the shock to climb mode, I see no difference in stiffness, than when it's full open. In fact, all the settings, Climb, Trail and Descend all feel like.. Descend. I'm pretty sure when I got the bike, there was a noticeable difference between settings. Anyone else notice this ? Could there be something wrong with the shock.. or is this how it's supposed to work ?
God, I hope this doesn't turn into a warranty issue. ;)

But seriously, how many miles you got on it? May just need the $20 Fox rebuild kit.

·
Chilling out
6,038 Posts
The 20$ rebuild kit would not affect the damping, that's merely the air-can service (new outer seal and replacement float fluid for the air spring chamber).

It's definitely intended to feel different in the three settings, and be stiffly-damped in the C position.

Is the shock stroke smooth through the whole range of motion, does it make any particular sound during movement, and is does the rebound adjuster make a difference?

At my guess, from this side of the internet, I'd guess your shock needs a damper service. Not something most home mechanics can do. There is a regular service interval for the damper, and that is normal, and depending on how much you ride your bike it's very reasonable that you are beyond that interval.

It's also possible that the shock damper has developed a fault and that it may be covered under warranty if so. My RP23 failed twice and both times Fox handled it quickly and without hassle ... the second time they returned it overnight shipping, unasked. The only way to know that for sure is to get an RMA and send the shock in to Fox. They have a web-form for doing this on their site, it's easy-peasy.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have SB95c and just serviced the air sleeve so it's now holding pressure after a long ride, would leak down 5-20 psi over 40 miles before but not terrible if sitting still in garage. However I'm noticing there seems to be no difference in T and C modes for me. I still get an effective change from D to Trail mode and spend most of my time in trail mode. Might open it up for a damper service but have been eyeing the Double Barrel of late ;-)

·
Chilling out
6,038 Posts
.... eyeing the Double Barrel of late ....
The DBAir is a terrible terrible shock.

I'll never take it off my bike though.

Bwa ha ha haaaaa!

Seriously, the DBAir is a great unit and for me was a fabulous upgrade but it's a *wee* bit more expensive than even a custom shock tuning.

Of course, now I have a spare shock for when one goes in for annual damper service.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got back from my LBS and checked out a brand new SB95. The brand new SB95 rear shock works exactly like mine does. That is, no significant difference in C, T or D. However, I am testing this by pushing down on the seat. According to my LBS (and I agree with them), that's not the best way to test it out. Test it by riding it where it is designed to take the big hits, but be stiffer in lower speeds/ smaller hits. Up to this point, I've never used pro pedal, but probably will test C and T this week. At this point, I believe (as does my LBS), the shock is working like it's supposed to. Interestingly, the Fork is very different from the shock. When I put my fork in C mode it's almost locked out. Thanks for all the info from you expert Yeti riders...

... and best of all.... there is no warranty issue !!! :)

·
Dab-O-Matic
1,062 Posts
Seriously, the DBAir is a great unit and for me was a fabulous upgrade but it's a *wee* bit more expensive than even a custom shock tuning.

Of course, now I have a spare shock for when one goes in for annual damper service.
+ at least 1! Infinite adjustment, the only downside is a slight weight penalty, but the way it performs, you'd never notice it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.