Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the website, the build kits for the sb95 come with a 140mm travel fork, while the sb95c and comp build kits come with a 120mm travel fork.

Is the website accurate? What's the reasoning behind this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So after a little more reading, is it the same fork, but with the travel set differently? In other words, can you lengthen the 120mm travel fork to 140 by removing spacers?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Sb95c and SB95 builds come stocked with Fox Factory series 34 140mm forks. The SB95 comp builds come withn Fox 32 120mm EVO series forks.

·
Chilling out
6,030 Posts
I remember reading in one thread that the 95c was more XC targeted (mostly because of the reduced weight) and thus the shorter travel setting in the fork.

IIRC the fork can be configured either way, as shipped, on both build kits. If they're still using the same air spring as what shipped in mine in '12 it's a trivial change to make. Does required dropping off the lowers, but not exposing the inside of either the damper or air spring assembly. The newer air spring is more complex to change the travel on, but it is possible.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,421 Posts
I remember reading in one thread that the 95c was more XC targeted (mostly because of the reduced weight) and thus the shorter travel setting in the fork.

IIRC the fork can be configured either way, as shipped, on both build kits. If they're still using the same air spring as what shipped in mine in '12 it's a trivial change to make. Does required dropping off the lowers, but not exposing the inside of either the damper or air spring assembly. The newer air spring is more complex to change the travel on, but it is possible.
I talked to someone at Fox about the '14 air spring unit - he told me I would have to order a 140mm unit, which could be reduced down to 130mm, but that's it. If you want 120mm, you would now have to order a specific 120mm air spring. I plan to get the '14 air spring banking on the improvements he described.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts