Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
just ride
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kenda Small Block 8 2.35 (725 grams) vs Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 (607 grams) or Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 (400+ grams)

Bike: trail (Scott Genius)
Rider: weekend xc rider (not xc racer)

I have been using my NN that came with my trail bike and I really like how they feel. It has a lot of grip for climbing, descending, cornering and braking. It also has a low rolling resistance on both on/off road but I noticed that some of the guys that races their XC bikes, uses Rocket Ron or SB8 (locally). I was going to buy the RR (400+ grms) but it looked narrow compare to SB8 and since I've seen more guys riding on the SB8, I decided to buy the 2.35 SB8 DTC to give it a try, not knowing that it is 100+ grams heavier than my NN and 200+ grams heavier than Conti-Speed King (pos tires).

fyi... Conti SK= very light tires. It makes the bike feel so light when being lifted but when you ride it, it has about the same rolling resistance as NN. Also, it has zero grip!

My question is, before installing these SB8:

1) do you guys think that this will be a better tire for climbing vs NN because it has less rolling resistance or
2) will it make the climbing worse since it is 100+ grams heavier? What about...
3) return and buy Rocket Ron (lighter and a tad wider than NN)?

Please advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
People use SB8 for budget reasons and they look fast.Some think wide 2.35 SB8's look kind of jump bike cool as well.Looks are deceiving, low tread is not necessarily faster.Stats I've seen show NN actually rolls faster and will definitely have more grip than SB8. 2.35 SB8's do well in hard pack and sandy conditions.Leave RoRo for the racers unless you have an unlimited budget[ delicate tread and casing]. 600 to 650 gms is a reasonable weight trail tire and there is plenty out there in that range with more grip than SB8.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
gvs_nz said:
People use SB8 for budget reasons and they look fast.Some think wide 2.35 SB8's look kind of jump bike cool as well.Looks are deceiving, low tread is not necessarily faster.Stats I've seen show NN actually rolls faster and will definitely have more grip than SB8. 2.35 SB8's do well in hard pack and sandy conditions.Leave RoRo for the racers unless you have an unlimited budget[ delicate tread and casing]. 600 to 650 gms is a reasonable weight trail tire and there is plenty out there in that range with more grip than SB8.
I concur that the SB8 isn't as fast rolling or as good gripping as the Nobby Nic, but you can find it for about 1/2 the price as the Nobby Nic. I would suggest the Racing Ralph as a good in between. It grips well, rolls really fast but isn't as fragile as the RoRo.

I've got a SB8 on the rear of my 29er SS right now and I can't wait for it to wear out so I can get another Racing Ralph on there. It isn't a bad tire, just isn't as good at any aspect as the Racing Ralph.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.