Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new (2014) 575 is cheaper, lighter and has more travel than the SB75. It obviously gives up Switch for an old school single pivot.

Not many reviews or comparisons I can find of the new 575 - does anybody have experience riding both? Do you really give up much by going with the 575 vs SB75 for general AM (lots of climbing, lots of going down) riding?

Only interested in opinions regarding the 2014 model 575. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just got my 2014 575 (The new & improved 575 build thread - Page 37). I did not test ride the SB75 (I did ride the aluminum SB95 last year). I've only got one real ride in on the 575, so take this with a grain of salt.

Weight: I'm a tall, thin guy. So I'm not a weight weenie, but I care about weight because I have to ride large frames, and don't really have giant legs to push a lot of weight uphill. My large 575 with a stock seat post was 28.1 pounds - I added the dropper and forgot to reweigh it, but that's a pretty great setup for an almost 6" travel bike.

Suspension performance: I thought I might be flipping the switch a fair amount because of the single pivot. I found that aside from the big extended downhill where I put it into "descend" mode, the trail setting worked great. I didn't feel any bobbing on the extended climbs I did with the rear shock in trail mode and kept the front fork in descend.

This new 575 takes all of the things that I loved about my old 575 and improves upon them pretty drastically. It felt less twitchy on the climbs and barreled through the descent. Mine was spec'd with a dropper post, and the X01 drivetrain. That's my one bike quiver for the Denver rides I do most of the time with an annual Fruita/Moab trip coming up next month. For somebody else, the SB75 might be the better choice. Personally, I really wanted the X01 drivetrain and I like the plushness of the 575 suspension. Having had a number of years of great experience on the 575 platform, I didn't see a reason to go away from it, particularly if it meant giving up the X01 drivetrain to offset the higher frame price. X01 isn't an easy upgrade down the line.

·
Registered
168 Posts
2 different bikes, 2 different purposes. I have the SB75, it s a trail bike and excels at what its intended to do. If you plan on bombing down trails fast most of the time, the 575 is the way to go. I chose the SB75, coz I normally suffer uphill, and the SB75 would be a better for that task. To me, the less I'm beat when Im at the top, the more fun I can have!

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
Giantdefy hit the nail on the head. Good post!

Even though the SB75 frame weight is a little heavier, it's a better trail bike due to it's geometry, stiffer suspension rate, and pedaling characteristics (Switch Tech.). On the other hand, the 575 is a really great all-mountain/big-mountain bike, with a plusher suspension feel and more gravity-oriented geometry.

Hope this helps,

JP

·
Registered
755 Posts
Giantdefy hit the nail on the head. Good post!

Even though the SB75 frame weight is a little heavier, it's a better trail bike due to it's geometry, stiffer suspension rate, and pedaling characteristics (Switch Tech.). On the other hand, the 575 is a really great all-mountain/big-mountain bike, with a plusher suspension feel and more gravity-oriented geometry.

Hope this helps,

JP
I look forward to a carbon version of the SB75. I love the lines on the SB66C but not the lines on the aluminum SB75. Something about the triangle between the seat post and top tube doesn't work for me. Hopefully by summers end I'll be surprised.;)

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
I look forward to a carbon version of the SB75. I love the lines on the SB66C but not the lines on the aluminum SB75. Something about the triangle between the seat post and top tube doesn't work for me. Hopefully by summers end I'll be surprised.;)
Can't say when exactly, but you guys are going to be more surprised than you realize.

JP

Reactions: procos

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
Cool I am in no rush to get a new bike so I can wait it out.
That's the attitude. Go enjoy your summer on your bike! Some of these guys who are stressing out about whether they should buy something else or wait for some mystery date in the future might be missing out on some awesome rides right now.

JP

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
That's great and all, but some of us don't have a bike right now and want to get riding.
That sucks, truly. I'd write the thing everyone's probably already told you about never ever under any circumstances, ever sell your existing bike before your new bike has landed at your doorstep, but I'm sure you get it.

Anyway my best advice is to buy something from our current lineup, but only if you love it. If we don't offer anything right now that you love, buy something from someone else. We'd hate to lose you as a customer, but we'd much rather know you're out riding than waiting around, or worse yet, riding a Yeti you're only half-hearted about.

Odds are, next time you're ready to get a new rig we'll have something you can't live without.

Cheers,

JP

·
Registered
908 Posts
thanks for the advice. Very cool to have an employee on here who cares what we all are thinking. The SB75 is still amongst my new bike final three. I only wish yellows were left. You guys gotta make more next time! I'm sure you already realize that though.

·
Registered
755 Posts
thanks for the advice. Very cool to have an employee on here who cares what we all are thinking. The SB75 is still amongst my new bike final three. I only wish yellows were left. You guys gotta make more next time! I'm sure you already realize that though.
From what I heard from a few LBS Yeti isn't the only manufacturer that has under estimated demand for certain bikes. I heard Felt is having a hard time keeping up with demand for their mountain bike line. It seems to me more and more people are getting out and riding. Hopefully all these people are contributing to IMBA, Sierra Trails and all their local mountain bike associations. Sometimes I want to be selfish and have the trail to myself but then realize as long as people are doing the right thing on and off the trails, such as donating money and using trail etiquette it can only help the sport.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That sucks, truly. I'd write the thing everyone's probably already told you about never ever under any circumstances, ever sell your existing bike before your new bike has landed at your doorstep, but I'm sure you get it.

Anyway my best advice is to buy something from our current lineup, but only if you love it. If we don't offer anything right now that you love, buy something from someone else. We'd hate to lose you as a customer, but we'd much rather know you're out riding than waiting around, or worse yet, riding a Yeti you're only half-hearted about.

Odds are, next time you're ready to get a new rig we'll have something you can't live without.

Cheers,

JP
Great advice. This is a fantastic way to rep a company. Kudos sir

·
Int'l Sales - PIVOT
778 Posts
From what I heard from a few LBS Yeti isn't the only manufacturer that has under estimated demand for certain bikes.
It's always tough to get the right number with so many models, sizes, colors, and kits. If you guess too low, you leave money on the table and frustrated customers who just want to buy your bikes. If you guess too high, at some point, you have to close out all that inventory; while this isn't the worst thing in the world for us, it puts our dealers who committed to the bike and might still have some stock on the sales floor in a bad spot, and we absolutely hate doing that.

Nothing's easy in this business, that's for sure!

JP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts