Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought these were supposed to weigh 7# with shock.
Weighed a medium frame and the pig weighs 8#'s with an RP23.
Did I miss something.
Great riding bike but my large FB frame weighs 7.5# and has an inch more travel.
Bummer

·
Registered
105 Posts
Glad I canceled my SB66 order and stuck with my 2011 575 (size Med; 7lb 3 oz) until the weights on these hopefully come down someday. I was hoping to go for the carbon version but I can't imagine it will come in at 6lbs either; and the $3k price seems outrageous. The Ibis HD is starting to look a whole lot better...

I also have a medium Big Top that weighs in at 4lb 3 oz; so both my Yetis came in 3oz over the listed weight which I figure is okay since Yeti must be posting weights for the smallest size frames. But the weights for the SB66 seem way over what they list. To bad Yeti doesn't tell all like Salsa, which lists the weight to the ounce for each frame size.

·
Registered
105 Posts
3 oz over certainly does not bother me; that could just be the cable guides, etc... but if I am going to spend a lot on a new frame it would be nice to know my bike will be lighter, not 1/2 to 3/4 lbs heavier than it currently is. Of course I have not ridden a SB66, so who knows what I'd say if I knew how it compares to my 575.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Keep in mind that most scales are pretty inaccurate. They're repeatable but inaccurate. That being said, my black XL 66 weighed in at a hair over 8 lbs with my King headset installed so it was a bit heavier than advertised. Since this isn't my XC race bike I don't care one bit. The bike absolutely rips and a big of extra weight adds a touch of stiffness and stability.

·
Registered
Yeti SB5, Grove Bike Co R.A.D
92 Posts
Wow... talk about first world problems... :rolleyes:

Solution: Take a big, steamy, satisfying dump beforehand then shut up and enjoy the ride.. You just got that 1/2 to 1lb back again.. Crisis averted.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've owned a lot of different Yetis, and all of them have been heavier than advertised. Not a big deal, really, but it's a little annoying they are willing to fudge the numbers like that. I had an attack of weight weenieness several years ago and bought the carbon rear tri for my 575 as an upgrade. The advertised weight savings was 1.2 lbs, but the difference in tri weights turned out to be barely 5oz. Fortunately, I have an active imagination and convinced myself the bike "felt" a pound lighter : )

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Mine was 7.7lbs. But its ride makes up for it. Not to mention, have all of you who are concerned with weight emptied your camelbak lately, or checked how much one emptyin of a bladder weighs. Seriously, fit were

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Mine weighed in at 7.7lbs. The ride of the bike more than accounts for this. While it would be nice for Yeti to be a little closer to claimed weight it's not that big of a deal. Wheels, tires, yes, not frame to me. Seriously, have any of you who are pms-ing over weight emptied you camelbacks lately to see what's in it. Or weighed a bladder of pee you empty. That's about a pound. Or the shorts you choose. Rolling weight is a much bigger deal. With that said. It should be a +\- 2 oz variance in claimed weight

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Value, weight, ride quality. Pick any two.

If you buy an SB-66 for the ride quality then it is in the ball park for value compared to any and all peers. Being a bit heavy... doesn't matter to that sort of buyer. Weight was the third variable and if the bike is better for providing a solid, stiff platform then please don't take the weight away and give me a noodle. If your buying priorities don't fit with the balance of weight vs ride quality then you will look elsewhere. Thank you. Yeti can't build enough of them, so if it really isn't the bike for you move on please and let those who want them get their shot.

The Mojo SL-R is being promoted with build options dropping as low as 22.4lbs (IIRC). So... that means an equivalent build on the SB-66 might be 25lbs (without pedals). My build is 29lbs (with pedals) and I can feel good about every lb that is added over and above 25lbs. At that weight it does what I expect of it and I don't think that a Mojo SL-R at 27lbs would be quite what I would be looking for to run alongside my other bike (120mm carbon).

A carbon SB-66 at 28lbs would probably be a fantastic ride, but I'd buy it for extra platform stiffness rather than for the loss of a lb.

There is internet forum illogic at work here. There is no ranking order of bikes from bad to good. There is no pecking order. There is no reward for having picked the brand of the month that won't be entirely offset by next month's fad being 0.7% better (intangibly and according to imperfect, subjective metrics).

Isn't it great that we have bikes with competence and character. They don't need to all be the same. We see SB-66 builds ranging from the weenie side of trail/enduro to 36lb coil sprung heavy hitters. It is a versatile platform that a lot of people are enjoying. It certainly has changed my riding options.

Perhaps greater accuracy in the promotional material would help.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Thought these were supposed to weigh 7# with shock.
Weighed a medium frame and the pig weighs 8#'s with an RP23.
Yeticycles.com states 7.5 pounds. I would assume that would be the smallest size. I would also assume that this is without hardware, as that is how most manufacturers publish their weights.

I am not sure where you got that "supposed" part from.

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
Just a couple thoughts:

1) Larger frame sizes will weigh more (published weight is for a medium most likely). This is too obvious to explain.

2) All manufactured items vary in size, and therefore weight. It is possible that the aggregate of all parts in the frame came in on the high side, thus resulting in a higher weight. If I were to design a frame, I would want my products to come in a bit heavier. This means more material. Less than designed weight would result in less strength.

3) 3 ounces on a 4 lb frame is 4.7% variation. This is acceptable in my opinion. 0.2 pounds over 7.5 is an even smaller variation of 2.6%.

This being said, a more realistic weight (and the size at which it is determined) should be published. And, finally, suck it up slugs! :p

·
Registered
54 Posts
You will probably also find if you weighed five medium frames all five could be a slightly different weight as the paint on some could be thicker or finer than others and that could be 0.2 pounds of a difference.All it takes is someone to be a little heavy handed with the paint gun i should know i paint motors for a living.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.