Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am now done with my SB66 build. The addition of the Rockshox Lyrik with the Avalanche Cartridge was the final addition and MAN, it took the performance of this bike over the edge. I can't explain how much of a difference it makes in the handling of this bike. Like the rear end of this bike with its Anti-Squat characteristics and firm suspension, the Avy cartridge was tuned to have a firm but still supple beginning stroke, but alleviate the midstroke dive and wallow helping it to corner amazing, but with the Multistage Shim stack and open bath damping, it opens up on any high speed square edges hit. WOW, is all I can say. It is worth the price. Most notable best upgrade since my Adjustable seatpost 5 yrs ago!

I added the 350 Nukeproof Ti spring to bring my overall weight to 31.4lbs. Not bad for a FULL coil SB! Rode 28 miles yesterday and averaged 10.6 mph. The best part was I had more fun on the bike than the first time I rode it. It feels balanced and has even more amazing HS handling than it did initially due to the AVY upgrades. I now feel it is taking FUL advantage of te Switch Suspension from beginning to end stroke. Pics below!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
When did Craig start making the Lyrik upgrades and what do you feel are the noticeable differences?

Thanks for any feedback. I am a huge fan of AVY shocks and I think they are the best shocks out there. Thinking about one for my new Knolly Chilcoltin.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When did Craig start making the Lyrik upgrades and what do you feel are the noticeable differences?

Thanks for any feedback. I am a huge fan of AVY shocks and I think they are the best shocks out there. Thinking about one for my new Knolly Chilcoltin.
Not sure when he started making them. But, I'm glad I found it. The differences are in the smoothness of travel and how it's used. It feels like a motocross fork, which it should since it's basically the internals of moto tuned suspension. It is valved for me the way I like it, which is a little firmer in the beginning stroke while still being supple, then shims release on big hits to open up the circuits. So controlled on the return and as it nears the end o the stroke. It uses a hydraulic oil bottom out control which is from MX technology too. Big hits felt endless and smooth vs on the 2012 mission control felt a little harsh. High speed chop with the Avycartridge feels like you would hope the stock lyrik should have felt but came up short. I had so much more conrol at speed and g-outs didn't cause substantial dive due to the shim stack and valving. It didn't nose dive on braking and even when I did grab some brake in the rough, the suspension remained gluedto the ground without skipping through. All I can say is don't buy the hype from the big box brands on the latest "New" marketing. Get the Avy internals if you want a fork that performs likethe pros and like it should anyway. I think sometimes marketing trumps performance. Meaning we gotta come out with some new improvement to get people to keep buying the latest and greatest. I've been guilty, but this cartridge has changed the benchmark for me on fork performance. Won't ever be able to have a fork that this Avy cartridge isn't in. It's that good!!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
sounds good.

Not sure when he started making them. But, I'm glad I found it. The differences are in the smoothness of travel and how it's used. It feels like a motocross fork, which it should since it's basically the internals of moto tuned suspension. It is valved for me the way I like it, which is a little firmer in the beginning stroke while still being supple, then shims release on big hits to open up the circuits. So controlled on the return and as it nears the end o the stroke. It uses a hydraulic oil bottom out control which is from MX technology too. Big hits felt endless and smooth vs on the 2012 mission control felt a little harsh. High speed chop with the Avycartridge feels like you would hope the stock lyrik should have felt but came up short. I had so much more conrol at speed and g-outs didn't cause substantial dive due to the shim stack and valving. It didn't nose dive on braking and even when I did grab some brake in the rough, the suspension remained gluedto the ground without skipping through. All I can say is don't buy the hype from the big box brands on the latest "New" marketing. Get the Avy internals if you want a fork that performs likethe pros and like it should anyway. I think sometimes marketing trumps performance. Meaning we gotta come out with some new improvement to get people to keep buying the latest and greatest. I've been guilty, but this cartridge has changed the benchmark for me on fork performance. Won't ever be able to have a fork that this Avy cartridge isn't in. It's that good!!
Sounds good. Might have to put it on my "want" list.

Couldn't agree more about AVY in general. Craig has some of the best (if not the best) suspension going. I always preach AVY shocks to people. Its funny, because Craig doesn't have a fancy website or a big dollar ad campaign, I think a lot of people shy away from his shocks. I really hope he gets the publicity he deserves some day.

TG

·
Registered
406 Posts
Craig told me last week the Avy cartridges for the Lyriks are on sale. Also, I sent my Avy Chubie rear shock to get revalved and he was took his time with me on the phone. Answered all my questions. Good man!

Waiting for my shock to return. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Oh, now you did it. I too was interested in a Chubie for my El Guapo. Talked to Craig at length about it (and also the Lyrik). I ended up getting the Chubie and love it! So plush and compliant but still peddles as well as any other shock. It feels bottomless and there are no spikes on medium to large hits. I started looking at the Lyrik and the Avy mod but really couldn't find anything out there. And now I read your first post and now I'm starting to feel money being sucked from my wallet:madman: Not really because I got a Fox and Manitou fork I could sell. I just have to find a used Lyrik at a good price.

Avy is the real deal:thumbsup:

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, now you did it. I too was interested in a Chubie for my El Guapo. Talked to Craig at length about it (and also the Lyrik). I ended up getting the Chubie and love it! So plush and compliant but still peddles as well as any other shock. It feels bottomless and there are no spikes on medium to large hits. I started looking at the Lyrik and the Avy mod but really couldn't find anything out there. And now I read your first post and now I'm starting to feel money being sucked from my wallet:madman: Not really because I got a Fox and Manitou fork I could sell. I just have to find a used Lyrik at a good price.

Avy is the real deal:thumbsup:
Sorry I gave you a case of UGI! It is worth it. Tell Craig Ashley caused you to do it:)

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AA. Any more updates on the fork? Is it worth the price tag? I love the Avy shocks and I am toted by the fork upgrade.

Any updates you can provide would
Be very helpful.

Thanks.
I have to say, I'm pretty amazed at how well this fork performs with the avalanche cartridge in it. It matches the rear end of the SB 66 really well. It rides high in its travel in corners and while pedaling. Then, as soon as you hit a square edge object or hit something hard and fast it gives in and goes through the multistage shim stack with ease and feels so controlled on the return. It really is worth the money IMO! I've never had a fork that felt this good in high speed chatter. Very controlled and smooth from beginning to end! I will transfer this cartridge to whatever fork I have

·
Registered
1 Posts
lyrik type?

AA, i know this thread is old, but i was wondering which lyrik you had the avy cartridge put in. Coil? U-turn? and do you know if it makes a difference which kind? also, would it work with the air spring variety? i'm thinking of getting a lyrik and have Craig work his magic on it. thanks man!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
AA, i know this thread is old, but i was wondering which lyrik you had the avy cartridge put in. Coil? U-turn? and do you know if it makes a difference which kind? also, would it work with the air spring variety? i'm thinking of getting a lyrik and have Craig work his magic on it. thanks man!
Craig will tell you the FIRST thing you should do is drop a coil in the Lyrik. He is a fan of simple, tried-and-true coil suspension.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry better late than never. It was in a coil. I'm thinking of putting one in my Lyrik Solo Air now too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.