Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what bike is worth spending cash on.
I want to go with a Pike fork and a better shock option so I'm thrown into a custom build from the start.
Any input?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Both are awesome rides. I think you'll be happy with either one. Two guys I ride with have both of those bikes. Very sweet

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I owned a SB66 alloy for a season and now ride a Mach 6. There's no doubt that the carbon 66 has a nicer ride than the alloy, but I prefer the Mach 6 over the SB carbon. With that being said a Float X shock on an SB carbon makes them very close competitors. So if you are going custom shock then it comes down to wheel size. Let's face it 27.5 is replacing 26 in just one season. The price would have to be a lot cheaper on a 26" bike to choose it over a equal 27.5.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Love my 66c and you can't argue with the price of them at backcountry 30% off. Save some coin and go with an awesome brand like Yeti. But if money is no object then the Mach 6 does have the newer wheels and bling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both bikes are great bikes!!!! I have a Mach 6 and I love it!!!! But i will say that if you have not rode a 27.5 bike before you should. I went from a 2000 Enduro to a M6 and I was expecting to just jump on and shread!!!! Wasnt the case.... the M6 has a crazy long wheel base compared to a 26 so to be honest i almost didnt like it at first, especially climbing through switchbacks. But because of the money i invested when i built it i got used to it and now i love it!!!!! It definitely rides different than a 26.... and definitely goes faster!!!!! So if you have rode a 27.5 and like it the Mach 6 is your choice hands down!!!!

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Love my 66c and you can't argue with the price of them at backcountry 30% off. Save some coin and go with an awesome brand like Yeti. But if money is no object then the Mach 6 does have the newer wheels and bling.
This. You're going to be able to get a SB66 carbon for much less than the M6 and last I checked the "old fashioned" 26" wheels still roll pretty dang well.....may even have a few advantages still over the 27.5" (gasp, did I really say that out loud??).

Having said that, if money isn't the issue, I'd go M6. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still waiting for the moment of clarity in my quest....
Ive been on an older Ellsworth Moment and really like the bike but want to update both front and rear suspension, put on wider bars, shorten the stem, update brakes and the list goes on .......so I figure that a new bike is in order and that a second bike couldnt hurt for the ol' lady to ride!
Ive only demo'd an (XL) M6 offroad and rode the SB 66 in a (large) around the parking lot
Im suprised that the wheelbase is almost the same with the bikes I rode and that the XL Yeti is an 1'' longer???
The Mach 6 felt long to me and unfortunately I think the seat was a little too far back for me as it felt like I was peddaling foward but I figure that would be an easy adjustment
Overall I liked the bike but am not sure if I want to jump into the 27.5 ring yet since it to me is so new and Im not sure what I really want. And to throw in bike to the mix, I've been told to look at the Mojo HD since it's compatible with both wheel sizes and has the DW-Link.
Price wise, yes I'd save on the yeti frame online but would want to swap out the fox shock for a piggy back shock of some sort, maybe even a Cane Creek
So in the end no matter what bike I go with I'll be spending a chunck of change
Being 6'3'' I'm on the fence with going XL or L and my thought are that I'll be able to ride with a shorter stem with the XL which seems more like what I'd want
I hope to Demo all these bikes in Moab this spring or early summer and maybe Ill make up my mind by then.....just in time for new product buzz to be around

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was in between a L and Med frame on the mach 6 at 5'10". I got the large and an running a race face atlas 50mm stem on a 160mm Fox float 34. Fits me perfect I'm glad I went a size up!!! Good luck choosing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts