Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the correct torque for the collet bolts on an SB5C ?

The manual appears to claim 10nm in the torque spec section but 14nm in the assembly instructions for the same parts, so it's a bit confusing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My bike is a 2016, and the torque spec look different between models.

The 2016 SBC5 user manual assembly instructions state:

"Using a 5mm Allen wrench, install the collet boltsinto the non-drive side of the main pivot axle andthe upper link axle.

Torque to 14nm"

But the key torque spec section of the same manual states:

"300040454........ COLLET BOLT M8........... 10nm"

????

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Honestly, I think that Santa Cruz has it right, just torque them until you take out any play, then torque down the wedge bolt to specified torque. I say this as I have friends with both Intense and Yeti and both have suffered bearings degradation/failure when torqued to spec, but work fantastic when using the SC method and you will find the action smoother and have to increase shock pressure a good bit to compensate for the much smoother action.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@LyNx "then torque down the wedge bolt to specified torque."

That's the issue. Is the "specified torque" 10nm or 14nm ???

I've asked Yeti, but no reply so far.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well,, the one I work on is the earlier model and the torque specs are 8Nm for the axle and 10Nm for the collet bolt. The 4 bolts for the SI link is 14Nm. Personally, after years of doing this, I think just don't be an idiot, you just want enough torque to properly lock the axle to the frame and stop it undoing, but unlike the axle, while you could break the bolt, no matter how tight you tighten the collet bolt, it won't have an effect on binding the system, 10Nm should be plenty.

The key thing with this setup is to make sure and put grease where it should be and locking compound where it should be and make sure the parts with locking compound are clean before applying it.

@LyNx "then torque down the wedge bolt to specified torque."

That's the issue. Is the "specified torque" 10nm or 14nm ???

I've asked Yeti, but no reply so far.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Please let us know how that goes ;) I honestly can't see how that bolt needs that much torque to be quite frank and honest.

Received a reply from Yeti, and the correct SB5C collet wedge bolt torque is 14nm for both upper and lower axles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.