Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched, read, and got quite confused with this. I have the stock Yeti SB5.5 Fox Float X Evol on it and ready for a change.

I want to put a coil on my SB5.5, what works the best, 6'2" 220Lbs more smash than smooth.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have searched, read, and got quite confused with this. I have the stock Yeti SB5.5 Fox Float X Evol on it and ready for a change.

I want to put a coil on my SB5.5, what works the best, 6'2" 220Lbs more smash than smooth.

Cheers!
Good decision because the Float X is horrible! Go for the CaneCreek DB Coil inline, it's super good, lighter than the other coils and cheap ... what's not to like? Works great on the SB5.5!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I hated the float X. I got a Push and it made the bike really great. I heard that Push had to do some work to get a good tune that wouldn’t bottom out too easily given the linear nature of the leverage curve, but it worked well. Not sure how a standard tune from another coil would work, but DHX2 has a huge range of adjustment so it would also probably work for half the price.

·
OriginalDonk
469 Posts
I'll echo what was already said. The Push 11-6 transformed the SB5.5 into an absolute beast. You might be able to find a used one on Pinkbike for cheap that's the correct length (Ibis HD4, Knolly Warden, etc.) and have it revalved/rebuilt for you. Pretty significant performance increase for the price of entry if you find the right deal (and are ok with the polished aluminum instead of the black).

·
Clyde
264 Posts
I have a 2012 Push tuned Fox RC4 with a 650 lb coil on my SB5+ and couldn't be happier.

I have a Fox 36 160 grip2 that will be getting the coil treatment.

I'm 6'5 250 and the coil set up is so nice for those of us in the Clyde and Super Clyde cats.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Clyde
264 Posts
Time to get the RC4 rebuilt or track down a ElevenSix or ?. Where to get an RC4 serviced these days? What It you grabbed a coil today what would it be for Yeti SB5.5 / SB5+?

·
Registered
82 Posts

Cheers!
I put a Cane Creek DB IL Coil on my 2018 5.5 with a Cane Creek progressive spring. I am now faster everywhere; up and down. I rode the DPX2 for three years and have no plans on going back to an air shock for this bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I put a Cane Creek DB IL Coil on my 2018 5.5 with a Cane Creek progressive spring. I am now faster everywhere; up and down. I rode the DPX2 for three years and have no plans on going back to an air shock for this bike.
Excellent! What is your weight, and what progressive spring rate do you use?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm 195 lbs geared up and using the 500-610 spring. I have very little preload and right at 28% sag. I could probably go down to the 450-550 spring if I wanted it to be a little softer
Thanks for the feedback. I am 170lbs, so on the longer SB6 I will probably be good on the 400-488lbs Cane creek progressive coil!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.