Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has/is anybody running an SB4.5 on green and blue trails at Whistler Bike Park? My wife and I are heading there in a few weeks. She’s never ridden park and will likely stay on the green and blue flow trails. Her 4.5 is a stock X01 build with upgraded DT xm481 wheels and Maxxis Rekon 2.6/2.4 tires. I’d rate her a novice with most of her experience being trail riding easier trails in Pisgah and the Ridgeline loop at DuPont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Has/is anybody running an SB4.5 on green and blue trails at Whistler Bike Park? My wife and I are heading there in a few weeks. She's never ridden park and will likely stay on the green and blue flow trails. Her 4.5 is a stock X01 build with upgraded DT xm481 wheels and Maxxis Rekon 2.6/2.4 tires. I'd rate her a novice with most of her experience being trail riding easier trails in Pisgah and the Ridgeline loop at DuPont.

The bike will be perfectly fine for Green and Blue Tech Trails at Whistler. The Black Tech trails is where the Gnar amps up considerably regarding Roots,Gnar,Rock and Chunk along with repeated drops but still trails like Upper Angry Pirate, No Joke, Original Sin, 7 Year War and Duffman are doable but beyond that it gets sketchy. All the Flow Trails can be ridden on any bike but depending on the brake bump situation it gets rough on both body and bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The biggest issue will be the tires. You'll wanna change those out for something a little burlier, something with some grip. I would even suggest changing them out if you planning on pedaling in the valley too.
I switched my girlfriends tires to something burlier and it was night and day difference for her.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The biggest issue will be the tires. You'll wanna change those out for something a little burlier, something with some grip. I would even suggest changing them out if you planning on pedaling in the valley too.
I switched my girlfriends tires to something burlier and it was night and day difference for her.
Open to suggestions on tires... Ive got an Aggressor I can throw on the rear. However, she's not aggressive enough to properly lean the bike to engage the cornering lugs on a Minion DHF.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Open to suggestions on tires... Ive got an Aggressor I can throw on the rear. However, she's not aggressive enough to properly lean the bike to engage the cornering lugs on a Minion DHF.

I'd say DHF / DHR is best since they're also decent in the wet and both my trips this year have had more rain than sunshine.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Also the Rekon's would do fine on most of those green and blue trails assuming it stays dry and she takes the time to ride clean lines. Del Bocca Vista is a trail you'll want her to ride 4-5 times and then transition to Ninja Cougar and similar trails.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also the Rekon's would do fine on most of those green and blue trails assuming it stays dry and she takes the time to ride clean lines. Del Bocca Vista is a trail you'll want her to ride 4-5 times and then transition to Ninja Cougar and similar trails.
Is that why the new Yetis come with 2.6 Rekons?
I personally think the Rekons and Agressors kinda suck, such a wimpy tire.
After destroying them on the first couple rides I switched to meatier tires and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I rode blues and blacks at Angel Fire with my Rekons; not sure where people got the idea that they are no good for the rough stuff. There may be tires that offer more grip in dirt, but I had chunkier tires and saw no need to swap them.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Do yourself a favor and buy her a set of proper tires. Dhf, Dhr or a pair of dhf. I know it's expensive, but so are the bars in whistler, which is where she'll be if her tires suck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do yourself a favor and buy her a set of proper tires. Dhf, Dhr or a pair of dhf. I know it's expensive, but so are the bars in whistler, which is where she'll be if her tires suck.
Lol! Sage advice here... She'd find some shopping that would definitely cost more than a set of new tires. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.