Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a sb150 rencently and used a 40mm stem. However, after riding in the park for several times I found it is a little nervous to maintain pressure on the front wheel especially while riding steep and sharp berms. All the builds from yeti come with 50mm stems, so I guess the bike may be more compatible with a 50mm stem. Does anybody have any ideas about it?
P.S. I'm 5'10 and ride a size M, the overall geometry seems perfect to me.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Stem length is something that is different for every person to help dial in bike fit (reach and stack height) of your bars. Best bet is to try various stem lengths to see what works best for you.

Try running a 60mm stem to ‘feel’ the effect difference between 40 and 60. Based on that you should be guided to 50mm or stick with 60mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,316 Posts
Ya, I think I started with 32mm(all I had at the time since I did a frame build) to 40mm and finally settled on 50mm. I'm 5'8" on a medium for reference. Even though it's all personal you definitely need to keep that front end weighted and ride aggressively.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some reviews said that the SB150 requires an active riding style to keep balanced. Though almost all enduro bikes with "modern" geometries stock with 40mm stems, but I still think there should be a reason for the designers to choose such length stem.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I still think there should be a reason for the designers to choose such length stem.
There is... some new research shows having stem length slightly shorter than fork offset works best for cornering pressure when using bars with reasonable backsweep. The only reason Yeti went with 50mm is because RaceFace quit making the 40mm in their cheaper stems which Yeti uses for OEM. That said... a lot of different body types so different strokes for different folks.

Have FUN!

G Man

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, I see. It seems I'd better to improve my riding level instead of anything else, lol.

·
Registered
598 Posts
There is... some new research shows having stem length slightly shorter than fork offset works best for cornering pressure when using bars with reasonable backsweep. The only reason Yeti went with 50mm is because RaceFace quit making the 40mm in their cheaper stems which Yeti uses for OEM. That said... a lot of different body types so different strokes for different folks.

Have FUN!

G Man
any links of this research? never heard of this. seems quite intriguing

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
any links of this research? never heard of this. seems quite intriguing
Interested as well but honestly, that lines up exactly with my experience. I tried every stem length from 30 to 60 on my Bike (a Foxy 29) and preferred the 40mm for handling (fork offset is 42mm) but for fit I needed the 45mm stem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts