Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently ben doing some armchair research into a next bike. Ideally after a 29er that can do my regular trail riding and race enduro.

Im 6ft2 and 110kg kitted up. The SB150 seems to tick the boxes but I have seen rear end flex mentioned several places - how noticeable or regular is it? At my weight it might turn from 'compliance' to complications if it is too flexy?

Richie Rude obviously makes it work but I guess he could have a new triangle any old time he wants...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ive recently ben doing some armchair research into a next bike. Ideally after a 29er that can do my regular trail riding and race enduro.

Im 6ft2 and 110kg kitted up. The SB150 seems to tick the boxes but I have seen rear end flex mentioned several places - how noticeable or regular is it? At my weight it might turn from 'compliance' to complications if it is too flexy?

Richie Rude obviously makes it work but I guess he could have a new triangle any old time he wants...
Well I'm 220 and have had 0 issues!!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Read the threads and see what you think-----no other bike brand has this level of chatter both for and against--I do not own one so cannot comment but the chatter took these bikes off my list at the prices they ask--simply makes me nervous
Of course go ride one and make your own call on ride quality and then make a call on the the other chatter topic----that is the only way to make a call---you will not get anything consistent from the forum given the lovers and haters

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok in summary
1 says disaster
1 says no worries at all
1 says you can never rely on the internet

thanks for replying though!

I guess my previous experience with Yeti (ASR5) has somewhat put me off and despite the SB150 looking great both on paper and to my eyes and mention of flexy rear ends has got me a bit nervous and looking at the new Hightower instead....

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Never ridden one but since the fact that my SB100 was the flexiest bike I've ever ridden (and I only weigh 145 pounds) plus the fact that I've heard quotes attributed to the Yeti guys about how they "built some flex into" their new SB bikes, I'm curious to see how others respond on here...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Never ridden one but since the fact that my SB100 was the flexiest bike I've ever ridden (and I only weigh 145 pounds) plus the fact that I've heard quotes attributed to the Yeti guys about how they "built some flex into" their new SB bikes, I'm curious to see how others respond on here...
Really? My SB100 is pretty damn stiff. I'm 170lbs fully kitted and not once have I thought to myself that the SB100 is as flexible as a noodle. Yea it's not as solid as my hardtail, but hey, it's a full suspension. If you wanna talk flexy, try a Trek with the full-floater rear triangle. There's a reason why they're ditching the full-floater design for a shock mounted directly to the front triangle.

I'm aware of the Yeti 'engineered flex' interviews, but I think they're referring to the 130 and 150. I can't comment on whether those statements are BS or not since I've never ridden them. I'm also not going to say, "But so-and-so races with them and wins so they must be good!" because I'm not a fanboy. I like the SB100 because of its geometry and ride characteristics. The SB100 has been a solid and stiff bike. But make no mistake, if another manufacturer had made something like the SB100 before the SB100's release, I would have got whatever came out first. Yeti just happens to make the tool I want.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Lots of other great bikes similar to the SB150 and at your riding weight no reason to but the SB150 and then have buyers remorse after the fact. Look at something like the Transition Sentinel or the new Megatower which you'll have no issues at your physical build riding either of those bikes. 240 plus pounds is no joke so think about the repercussions of making a 5-7k mistake.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks skinnybex - definitely erring away from the SB150 at the minute...

FWIW I have previously had a Sentinel and a Rallon and both were good. Interested to hear your general comparisons of them to the SB150 and maybe the Sant Cruz if you've ridden?

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Really? My SB100 is pretty damn stiff. I'm 170lbs fully kitted and not once have I thought to myself that the SB100 is as flexible as a noodle. Yea it's not as solid as my hardtail, but hey, it's a full suspension. If you wanna talk flexy, try a Trek with the full-floater rear triangle. There's a reason why they're ditching the full-floater design for a shock mounted directly to the front triangle.

I'm aware of the Yeti 'engineered flex' interviews, but I think believe they're referring to the 130 and 150. I can't comment on whether those statements are BS or not since I've never ridden them. I'm also not going to say, "But so-and-so races with them and wins so they must be good!" because I'm not a fanboy. I like the SB100 because of its geometry and ride characteristics. The SB100 has been a solid and stiff bike. But make no mistake, if another manufacturer had made something like the SB100 before the SB100's release, I would have got whatever came out first. Yeti just happens to make the tool I want.
^^Agree with this. I'm four (hard) rides into my new SB100, and I haven't felt any flex. In fact, I've be marveling at, and commenting about, how stiff it is. I'm 180 lbs before gearing up. I'm primarily a SS'er (or at least I was, before getting the SB100...LOL), and have two Pivot LES' - one SS and one geared, so I'm pretty sensitive to any flex.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
215 lbs no gear on sb150 and no issues other than some mild tire rub with dhr2 2.4wt

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
738 Posts
215 lbs no gear on sb150 and no issues other than some mild tire rub with dhr2 2.4wt

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Just gonna add that my evil following MB was so flexy that i could feel it almost every downhill trail i rode. I have not felt any flex on my SB150 and i came from a 157 SuperB Pivot switchblade.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good morning. I am 190lbs with my riding gear (give or take 5lbs depending on what I am carrying)... I have 412 miles on my SB150 including racing the Grand Enduro in GJ CO. Also, 90% of those miles are on the Lunch Loop Trails in Grand Junction CO. I have also self-shuttled the Whole Enchilada (Hazzard Down as Burro is still under snow) and done a couple of big back-country rides. I have had zero flex issues and zero issues with this bike overall. I consider myself a very skilled and aggressive descender and have been riding and racing since the late 80's- I still rack up a KOM here and there even at 42 years of age- Since first getting on the SB150, I have set far to many PR's on descents (and a few climbs) to count. I love this bike, it suits my style of riding and preferred terrain. FWIW I am 6'2" and on an XL.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good morning. I am 190lbs with my riding gear (give or take 5lbs depending on what I am carrying)... I have 412 miles on my SB150 including racing the Grand Enduro in GJ CO. Also, 90% of those miles are on the Lunch Loop Trails in Grand Junction CO. I have also self-shuttled the Whole Enchilada (Hazzard Down as Burro is still under snow) and done a couple of big back-country rides. I have had zero flex issues and zero issues with this bike overall. I consider myself a very skilled and aggressive descender and have been riding and racing since the late 80's- I still rack up a KOM here and there even at 42 years of age- Since first getting on the SB150, I have set far to many PR's on descents (and a few climbs) to count. I love this bike, it suits my style of riding and preferred terrain. FWIW I am 6'2" and on an XL.
We are about the same height and it was XL i was looking at so that is good to know. I'm in the Uk so the trails you mention I don't know too much about but seems like a pretty capable bike!

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is an extremely capable bike! XL feels very natural to me and I like the ability to be stretched out a little on the bike so I can position my weight depending on the situation. These trails are very demanding, Black and Double Black Diamond level trails are my preference and in Western Colorado the descents on a lot of our natural terrain trails are anywhere from 1.5miles (2.4km) to 5miles or more (8km) full of drops and rocks and lots of other fun stuff- check out these youtube videos by Nate Hills if you haven't already to get an idea of the terrain- I have ridden the SB150 on all of these trails! Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.