Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Humanisti
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Just registered to this forum.

Coming from XC to the enduro world and building up my first bike ever from scratch, after bike wrapping my SB150 I noticed a thing which has been dealt to some extent in connection with the SB100: the gap between the frame and the GripLock assembly. I haven't installed the fork yet, but even just by pushing the assembly onto the upper bearing it comes apparent that a couple of Nm torque on the stem cap screw will not solve the problem. Has any SB150 owner encountered the same issue? And maybe solved it already? I'm still waiting for info from Yeti. In some build up YouTube videos SB150s are speced with the same CK Dropset 1, and you can see that the upper bearing is not nearly flush with the frame. Seems that it's only an aesthetic issue not affecting the secur installation and functioning of the fork. If there are no safety relevant issues at hand, the looks could be improved just by putting an O-ring type seal on the outside where the gap is. Maybe a seal of 44mmx3mm would work. I do acknowledge that there shouldn't be a gap in the first place (maybe a small one so that the assembly can rotate freely without scratching the frame), but if you want to use CK stuff and there is only the visual thing... Still wondering that in times of standardisation CK praises that their head sets are made for Yeti & Co. Or is there a problem on the side of the frame manufacturer, i.e., the ream depth is insufficient. But in that case also other headsets would have the same issue, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Any ideas on this one?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Did you check to make sure the bearings are in the correct orientation? I'd also suggest installing the fork, stem and then compressing / tightening the top cap to see what it looks like. My CK looked like yours prior to installing fork, stem and compression cap. Once all together it looks like any other CK headset, snug as a bug.
-UC

·
Humanisti
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Undercover!

Thanks for your speedy reply! I'll still have to check how everything looks when installed and tightened. I'll get my fork in two weeks time, so I'll keep you posted.

·
Humanisti
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally, everything assembled and tightened, but there is still a tiny gap. Yeti informed me that the headset cups are designed using Cane Creek bearings as a reference, so the problem seems to be on CK side.

Are there CK Dropset 1 users who do not have this (tiny) gap? if all frames and Dropset 1 bearings are produced using the same tolerances, very CK user should have made the same experience.

Since there are no other negative effects on the functioning of the steering, I'll stick to CK for the time being and try to figure out some solution to fill that gap to prevent dirt getting in (O-ring on the outside/inside, transparent M3 tape rings onto the frame under the cap assembly...)

Attachments

·
Humanisti
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since this is my first experience with CK (none with CC), may I ask for some pictures from Dropset 1 users' final assembly in order to see what is considered as a perfect snug fit? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Since this is my first experience with CK (none with CC), may I ask for some pictures from Dropset 1 users' final assembly in order to see what is considered as a perfect snug fit? Thanks in advance!
take a look at pro bike supply instagram, they have a lot of yeti builds sb130 / 150 / 100 and you should see CK headsets.

·
Humanisti
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi! Yes, after putting everything together and tightened up and comparing to ready-build bikes at a Yeti dealer, everything seems to be just fine. There is a tiny gap, but that one has to be there in order to avoid any rub against the frame.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Hi! Yes, after putting everything together and tightened up and comparing to ready-build bikes at a Yeti dealer, everything seems to be just fine. There is a tiny gap, but that one has to be there in order to avoid any rub against the frame.
yep glad you got it right, the issue I think is that their green oring is really tricky to get in the right place so the gap is min! it's quite tricky to get the griplock to go in as it should not as easy as the instructions make you think!

·
Humanisti
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! Yes, and I assume that after the first ride or two everything is going to settle, so after some additional tightening everything should be (even more) tight and snug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.