Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering about real experience riding a medium at 5’11”. Coming off a large SB6 that at times felt too big but not always.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will say at 5'11" and APE +3 I found demoing the both the M and L SB130s (non LR) that I felt the M much too cramped. Have a large SB130LR and find it the right size for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
+1 for the large. I am 5’11” and about 180 lbs in my birthday suit and the large fits me well. Took a lot of getting used to coming from a 2008 giant reign X1 26er. What a difference! But 2 months in and I am loving the new steed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wondering about real experience riding a medium at 5’11”. Coming off a large SB6 that at times felt too big but not always.
5'11" here too and happy on a large SB130. Never tried the M but I suspect it would feel too cramped. FWIW, I rented a large SB6 a few years ago and it felt too big for me....

·
Registered
145 Posts
5'11", 103kg (built like a rugby player) long arms/torso, 30.5" inseam....went with a medium and put a 50mm stem and slid the seat back.....I also have room for a 200mm dropper

I came from a large 2014 Giant Trance, and my 130 is bigger in almost every way. I have come to realize i like my mtb frames a little bit on the smaller side.

·
Ride with me in NZ
106 Posts
I'm 5'11" too and have had my SB130LR for about 3 months. It's a large and is a great fit for me. Previously I had a 2018 SB5LR and while it was the correct size for me, the SB130LR actually feels a better fit. It feels shorter surprisingly, even though the numbers would suggest otherwise.
I borrowed my brother's previous generation SB5 which was a medium prior to getting mine and it was obviously too small for me. I've since ridden his SB150 briefly and while it too is too small for me, it's not the same amount too small as his SB5 was.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, get a large. (Probably)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This size comparison chart is sick, thanks for the link. And thanks to all that have shared their experience, it has been helpful.

In the end I went with the medium for the first time in my life after wanting to for many bike purchases. I rode both sizes and neither felt “wrong” or awkward, in fact they both felt like a good fit. I wound up choosing the medium for a few reasons.

1- I have always wanted to try owning a medium and I think modern bike geometry allows for folks to identify as medium or large more so than 15 years ago.

2- I had an excellent deal put in front of me for a medium which made me look closer at running this size than ever before.

3- While there was nothing glaring in difference when riding the two sizes when I look at the numbers I just couldn’t buy a bike with a longer wheelbase. Too often in my tight local trails my SB6 felt looonnnnggggg.

4- In the unlikely event this bike is not right for me because of the size my wife cannot argue with me getting a new one. After all size matters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
5'10 and on a medium Lunch Ride for a year now. Size feels great and works well when the trail gets tight on space.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts