Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a SB130 LR with Assegais, inserts in each end. It’s a beast.
I’m thinking of getting an XC bike also, road riding scares me.

The SB130 is impressively light, 3kg lighter than my Enduro. Anyone have any experience with something similar to just getting a light carbon wheelset with some Rekons/Ikons and calling it an XC bike? Anyone even raced such a setup?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just my opinion, but the SB130 is meant to be a great trail bike, that can go up and down. The only benefit I see to getting a dedicated XC bike in addition to the SB130 would be to shed 5-10 lbs and reduce times on the uphill. And that is a very small percent of the market.

The SB130 does everything an XC bike can do, plus way more. I only ride trail, sometimes use it in the park with my kids, can even take it down the ski hill DH runs at a medium speed. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
…shed 5-10 lbs and reduce times on the uphill. And that is a very small percent of the market.
XC bikes are a small percent of the market? Hmm…didn't know that was the case.

Sb130 is a 30+lb trail/enduro bike. Can it do everything an XC bike can do? yeah, for sure. Is it more efficient, light weight? Not even close…like you said you can save 5-10lbs of weight and gain a more efficient pedaling bike. There will always be trade offs, as there is no free lunch…

All depends on the trails you ride and the priorities placed on your riding style.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I also have an SB130LR and have kicked around this idea. It's a phenomenally fast bike uphill and downhill. But when I actually took it out and did equivalent XC loops on my SB130LR with "sketchy tires" and my SB100 there was no comparison in speed/times. It would be more than fine for beginner xc races or some endurance events where you're just out there to have a long day in the saddle but it isn't competitive against a true XC race bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.