Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone out there running an SB130 with a 140mm fork, and pushing their build towards a lighter more xc ride? I`ve been scrolling through the official 130 thread but it`s a bit of a beast at this point.

Currently riding a Mojo3 which was my first new bike in a decade and while I really like its fun nature, for the kind of riding I'm doing these days I probably could use a 29er (I can only have one bike for space\bank account reasons).

And I've always wanted a Yeti, so!

I'm kinda stuck between wanting the lightness and speedy feel of the SB100 that riders report, but also if this is my only bike then it has to be able to take on my occasional forays into bigger terrain. And, to be honest, some of the problems reported with the 100 make me leery. No doubt it rips but sometimes I want to ride the park.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Like all bikes, there were some bad eggs with the SB100 and it got blown out of proportion. The vast majority of SB100 owners report minimal to no issues with their bikes, me included. The SB130 is an all-mountain bike. The SB100 is a trail/xc bike. IMO, it's better to up-fork a shorter travel bike and it is to down-fork a longer travel bike. But that's just me. If you're set on getting a 130mm rear travel bike with a 140mm fork, Yeti isn't the only game in town. There are a handful of 130mm rear travel bikes out there that use a 130 or 140mm fork. There's a resurgence of 120mm trail bikes(such as the new Ripley for example) which would serve better as a general trail bike than the SB100 or SB130. Brand loyalty is a sham. Get the bike that best fits your intended usage regardless of the badge.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Bottom bracket is already pretty low with the 150mm fork especially if you're running 175mm cranks. May or may not be an issue depending on where your riding. You'd be surprised at how lively the SB130 feels with a lighter wheelset and faster rolling rubber. Might be all you need to give it a dual personality.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Keep the fork at 150mm and swap it for something lighter like a Pike. That plus wheel/tyre choice will make more of a difference to whether the bike feels more "trail" or "enduro" than 10mm less travel in the front.
Reducing the fork travel will also make the STA even steeper and BB lower, neither of which the SB130 needs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try out the SB130 out before you decide. It surprised me a lot on how fast and light it felt on the demo.
I'll be able to demo a 130, unsure if the shop will have a 100 to demo.

I'm definitely going to take a long look at the V4 Ripley, as I really like my Mojo, absolutely no complaints. But I bought it right when I moved to a new area, and now realize in my one bike quiver, a 29er is going to help me eat the miles better.

I do enjoy the Mojo's playfulness, and the 140\130 mix is just about right for how I ride. It's why I think the 100 might be just a touch too XC. Thus my questions about the 130.

Thanks for all the feedback. A test ride will answer a lot of questions, I think.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Im in the same boat really. Got an SB100 as my only bike at the moment. Man its so good. No issues with the SI at all. But I could do with it being 120mm to be honest as it does limit a bit where i can ride it. So loking at the new Ripley. Only slight worry is the steep STA in flatter terrain.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
The Ripley seems to be closer to what you're asking for. Maybe with a 140 fork?

There are so many good mid travel trail bikes out there right now I wouldn't try to mold a SB130 into an XC bike. I'd just buy exactly what you want.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll be able to demo a 130, unsure if the shop will have a 100 to demo.

I'm definitely going to take a long look at the V4 Ripley, as I really like my Mojo, absolutely no complaints. But I bought it right when I moved to a new area, and now realize in my one bike quiver, a 29er is going to help me eat the miles better.

I do enjoy the Mojo's playfulness, and the 140\130 mix is just about right for how I ride. It's why I think the 100 might be just a touch too XC. Thus my questions about the 130.

Thanks for all the feedback. A test ride will answer a lot of questions, I think.
As far as playfulness goes, 27.5 does a lot. But I do think yeti has made strides toward making their bikes more fun and playful with the 100 and 130. What kind of trails and features are you planning on riding?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I picked up the GX sb130 put 2.6/2.4 reckons on there. even though its 3lbs heavier than my Tallboy CC xtr xc bike, Id rather be on the the 130 all day long. Its way more efficient, comfortable and stable at mach speed!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you end up running a 140 on the SB130? curious how it went. Thinking I'll do the same. This bike is so capable up and down, just fine tuning the parts to make this just as good up as a ripley but better on the way down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.